The Engagement

Breaking the kiss, Iker looked at Avadh.

"Let's get the marriage done. The world can't afford to have you indisposed now," said Iker

Avadh looked at him.

"I know you are not ready to pursue the bond yet, but people- people come first," he said slowly but firmly.

"I am aware," said Iker.

Avadh nodded. They sat in silence for sometime before Iker stood up and set the bed. They both got in the bed and were soon asleep. In the morning, Avadh woke up alone. Thankfully, Avadh could still feel his mate around. As usual in mornings, Iker was in the gardens. He would just stand there and look around, onto the stream. Iker turned and even from three floors below, Iker could clearly feel the amusement in Avadh's mind.

"Fuck off. I like this garden, So sue me," said Iker through the mind link. 

"Well, then wait there," said Avadh. Once he freshened up, he got down dressed to leave for the day. He opened the box his mother had given him on his eighteenth birthday. It will fit in Iker's finger. 

Avadh got to the garden. Iker almost smiled at how out of place he looked in his official attire in a garden.

"I have something for you if you care to wear it," said Avadh.

Iker looked confused and Avadh put his hand inside his coat pocket and brought out the box. Iker felt his cheeks redden but did not move or say anything when Avadh opened the box and showed him the ring. It was traditional, made of gold.

Iker did not throw away his hand when Avadh lifted it and slid the ring onto it. They stood looking at each other for a moment before Avadh nodded and turned to leave.

Iker looked at it for a good couple of hours before he decided to find Avadh a good ring, the best. It should equal or top what Avadh gave him. So he went to Ma. She looked at him and her eyebrows rose.

"What is it?" she asked. Iker showed her his hand and she gasped in surprise.

She smiled and hugged him and kissed on his cheek and forehead.

"Now, I have to get him a better ring and you will help me?" asked Iker.

"Of course I will, and we will also have to look at wedding rings and dress and we have to invite the clans and we have a lot more to do," she said excitedly.

Iker rolled his eyes. He knew her enough to know what her reaction would be.

"Ma, first I need to get him a good engagement ring," said Iker.

"Okay. Yes, first things first. Go get ready and we are going to the jeweller now- or wait I will ask them to come here. If I take you out of palace before mating, my son - your fiance will shit fire. So, we will call them I guess," she said and proceeded to get her phone. 

Iker agreed, knowing Avadh and his tetchiness when he even stepped so far as the gates. One time the man had run all the way across the woods and jumped on him. 

The jeweler came. Iker looked through all the designs available. He was not really a jewellery type of person. However, Avadh has his ears pierced and wears a stud in one of his ears. He wanted this to sync with the stature of the man and the raw power he exudes.

Iker picked a ring of gold mixed with Aglon (a metal with a lighter shade of gold). It had two powerful metals melded together into the same shade and he thought it was symbolic too.

He got it, while Ma gave instructions for the wedding ring. Once the siblings all came in and saw Iker's hand, no one has stopped screaming in excitement. Iker rolled his eyes but couldn't help but wonder how his own siblings would be reacting to the news. Not siblings, were they? Still, at times, Iker forgets that they are not his. He is just an outcast and he forgets that at times.

---------------------------------------------

In Ilse, Katherine was looking at Iker's empty room. She had tried, she really did to make herself accept him as her own. But always, a word here or a look there would remind her that the kid is not hers.

That she was not actually her husband's mate. She took away that from two people and from Iker too. She felt guilty, for taking it away from them, for not being able to be there for Iker, for being weak, for being selfish. And now, he is not coming back.

Katherine was sure none of them has ever thought of Iker leaving. He was an Alpha which made them all not even give it a thought. They had been worried about the day Hale will have to leave, but never Iker and now he was gone and Katherine wanted to see her kid. She knew that she has never let him have that feeling. But she was not a demon, she did care.

"Mom, let's go have breakfast. I am sure they have all wrecked the halls now," said Ahem.

Katherine smiled hearing Ahem's voice. Ahem was god's gift to their family. She did not know what good she did to get a son- in- law like him. Son, essentially. Without Iker to stifle a bit of the outrageous behaviors, it was Ahem who set them all straight with an iron hand. He does it smoothly too.

Being a very mellow person, he says it softly too. But, everyone can hear that he means it. He took care of every single member of the family and helped Cris with his office works and pack management and helps him in all the household affairs.

She smiled and nodded and they went down. 

Soon, Ahem was glaring down Zal who scowled but sat down at the breakfast table making Cris snort. He as an Alpha couldn't afford to snort out loud and be amused but he did anyway. Ahem saw right through him and rolled his eyes.

Zal had been wreaking havoc since Iker left. He was so rebellious that one would think he is a five-year-old with his favorite toy taken away from him. At that age, toys are kids' only companions.

Zal has never been without Iker and he can feel Zal's wolf missing his brother. And he can feel sorrow from Zal. He was probably angry with himself. The fact that he is yet to meet his mate is not helping either.

Ahem's phone rang and he smiled.

"Ma," he said. Cris nodded encouragingly. The distance from his birth home has been affecting Ahem too. They have even fought a couple of times when Ahem was in an irritated mood and Cris' usual calmness in the face of everything did not sit well with him.

"They have got engaged. Ma says the official marriage will happen in two weeks time,' said Ahem excited. Cris and Ahem are yet to get married. Cris has given him the ring and Ahem had accepted. They had waited for Avadh and Iker.

"What? Are you sure he was not coerced into anything ?" asked Zal.

Ahem rolled his eyes. "He is not a kid Zal. And I am sure even Avadh can't coerce Iker Maximilian De Russe to do anything he doesn't want to do," said Ahem and placed his hand on Zal's shoulder.

"If you actually want to see for yourself, you can come with us when we go," said Ahem giving Zal an out from accepting that he was worried. Cris saw through it. Cris loved his mate more and more as days went by. 

"Yes, I am coming," said Zal.

------------------------------------------------------