Settling

Avadh was surprised when Iker willingly came closer to him. His face was stoic, the usual coldness still there. Iker was trying not to care but he knew Avadh needed him. He pulled the blanket over the man and slid in next to him making sure that he doesn't touch the wound.
Iker had been staying away from him even in bed. Avadh kissed Iker's hair. Iker flushed but did not rebuke him. He just tightened his grip on Avadh's good arm.

Both were silent as they fell asleep. Next morning, Avadh woke up and saw that Iker was not there next to him. His beast whined. As if he got an alarm, Iker rushed into the room.

Iker was helping Ma with the affairs of the pack when he felt Avadh waking up and calling for him.

Iker saw the mild surprise on the man's face. Iker looked at him.

"Are you going to be angry with me again?" asked Avadh as he sat up.
Iker rushed forward as Avadh was leaning on his injured side. The wound was made by some forbidden material as it was taking a lot of time to heal. Iker helped him sit up. 

"No," said Iker finally.

"So do I have to get close to dying to get your forgiveness every time you are pissed off at me?" asked Avadh.

Iker slapped him. Avadh did not flinch but looked at Iker who just huffed.

"Don't kid yourself. You are the King, you won't die because of these small wounds or at the hand of some rogues. Now, don't make me kill you and keep your mouth shut," said Iker.

Avadh did not look away.

"Does it matter to you that I forgive you?" asked Iker.

"Of course, it does Iker, " said Avadh.

Iker felt his cheeks redden. He didn't want to let his guard down. He gave a small nod.

"I forgive you if you must know," said Iker and walked out to get Avadh's breakfast.

Avadh sighed. He felt his beast sigh too.

"You can't make him feel like he doesn't matter. He needs to know that you care, that he matters to you. He left a whole life behind for you, called your house 'his' for you. It's time you gave him something too," said Ma. She was standing at the door.

She might have been there for some time now.

"Ma, I- "

"I know people matter, Avadh. But Iker is, he is your mate, husband and you are the only person he has as 'His'. I am glad he is my son now. He deserves all the happiness in this world," she said.

Avadh looked down, knowing that his Ma is right. 

"I know you care about him in your own way. He doesn't. So you have to let him know," said Ma.

Avadh nodded. Ma looked at his wounds.

"You should also be more careful," said Ma. Avadh nodded to that too. Iker came in with food then. 

Avadh had food silently.

"You have never been to see this place because I didn't want you to be defenseless. Maybe, we will go tomorrow. I can show you around the places," said Avadh.

Iker almost spat the food from his mouth in surprise. But his 'manner' focussed upbringing stopped him from doing so. 

"Are we going on a date?" asked Iker, slowly.

It was Avadh's turn to be speechless.

"Yeah, I guess," said Avadh.

Iker looked away. An awkward silence followed.

--------------------------------------------

Avadh was back on his feet in no time. By the next morning, his wounds have properly healed. They got ready for their date and were about to head out when two guards came running.

"There is an attack in the southern borders," they said.

Avadh looked at Iker.

"I will be back soon," said Avadh. Iker nodded. Avadh left.

It took Avadh a lot of time to sort out the issue and soon, there was a necessary immediate meeting with the packs and then, he had to do a few follow-ups post attack. When he reached home, it was late in the night. It had been 8 hours since his leaving. He saw his Ma's disapproving face and went up. Iker looked so angelic in sleep. He woke with a start feeling Avadh's presence.

"You are back. What happened with the rogues?" asked Iker as he sat up.

"Locked in the cells, for now," said Avadh as he undid his coat.

"Hmm, did you have dinner?" asked Iker.

"No," said Avadh.

"I will get your dinner, get freshened up," said Iker and left.

The packs had offered him food. But he knew, Iker will be waiting. Even when Iker had kept him at arm's length, he had waited for Avadh. He still remembered Iker's expression when he answered positively to that particular question the first time. He had never had dinner outside after that because Iker waits for them to eat together.

As they were having food, Avadh told him of the day's events. Iker listened keenly. He was interested in the happenings in the pack, and the political and financial affairs Avadh handled. Once they were finally in the bed, Avadh was sitting up, going through some documents as usual and Iker was reading something that he was reading the whole day- some book. A couple of hours later, they were ready to sleep. Iker was silent. Avadh kept the papers away and looked at Iker. He moved closer to Iker and placed his arm around him. Iker's eyebrows rose.

"I am really sorry about our date. I kept you waiting," said Avadh.

"I knew we were going nowhere the moment those two came running, so don't worry- it doesn't matter," said Iker.

Avadh did not reply, He just held Iker closer to him and they slowly succumbed to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

Avadh was gone early in the morning next day. Iker was a bit irritated because his husband dearest had decided to fuck off without telling him. But hey, it's not like Iker cared. So when Avadh called, he had snapped a 'What?'

"Come, meet me at the entrance gates- I will be there in five," said Avadh.

Iker scowled but did as he was told. Avadh was waiting. Iker got to the car and noticed the absence of his usual entourage. 

"What happened?" asked Iker, worried.

"Get in," said Avadh. Iker knew his man well enough to know that, it was the only answer he was going to get. He shook his head in exasperation but got in.

The car rushed past the hills. Iker looked around, seeing the place for the first time. Iker looked around. Avadh stopped on top of the hills. Iker looked at him.

"We are on our date, aren't we?" asked Iker.

"Yes, had one more meeting on yesterday's attack and I finished it in the morning," said Avadh.

Iker looked away with a small smile gracing his lips. They walked, through the streets and the villages, like two commoners. Avadh felt a hand on his arm. He looked at Iker who was looking nowhere in particular. A slight flush in his cheek was telling. Avadh smiled too as they walked forward. To anyone looking, they seemed like a normal couple out for some time together, sipping coffee they bought at the local store.