three

He stood there with tears running down his face. 'I-I'm sorry for interrupting. I can go if you want?' He stuttered.

'No, no come in.' I told him. 'Is everything okay?' I asked as he sat down.

He sat on the sofa, tugging his curls, tears escaping his eyes.

I lay Layla in her cot in the living room before sitting down beside him.

'Let it out, let it all out.' I said as I hugged him and rubbed his back, he let all his tears out.

'I'm sorry for landing in on you like this.' He said as he straightened himself up and wiped the tears. 'I just felt like I needed someone to talk to. I didn't know who else to go to.'

I watched as he broke down in front of me. 'Do you want to talk about it now?' I asked carefully. 'You know I'll always be here to talk.'

'So, I've been seeing this girl for a while. I really liked her. She went to the bar to get a drink and she had been away a while.' He wiped away another tear that fell.

I grabbed his hand to try and comfort him.

'So I went to see if everything was okay and that's when I seen her with her tongue down another mans throat.' His grip on my hand grew tighter as he continued.

'It turns out he's the same lad that used to be my friend, who was the cause of my last relationship to break down. Instead of creating a scene, I made them aware I was there and stormed out.' He took a minute to gather him.

'And I went out of the restaurant, wanting to go home. A gang approached me with a knife, one pushed me against the wall with it held at my throat.' He closed his eyes.

'They told me to give them my money, I only had a twenty on me but that wasn't enough. They brought me down an alley and tried to take my trousers down. Luckily they heard a car, they beat me and left me shaking in an alley.' He opened them and looked at me, watery eyes.

I grabbed him and pulled him into a hug. 'I'm so sorry Brad, you're safe now.' I whispered as I rubbed his back and head.

It had been a few minutes of silence until Layla began to cry. I sighed and stood up from the sofa.

I lifted her from her cot, rocking her to try and calm her. 'I should probably get going.' Brad announced as he stood up.

'Stay the night? I don't want you being on your own.' I seen him debating it.

'Are you sure?' He asked. I nodded.

'Go and get changed, do whatever you need and we'll be here with a movie and snacks waiting for you.' I watched as a smile appeared on his face.

'I'll be no longer than ten minutes.' He said as he left to go to his flat.

Once he left I realised I was still sat in my bra so I went and threw a top on before going to the kitchen with Layla on my hip to get a few snacks and drinks ready.

Within 10 minutes I heard the soft knock at my door again. I went over and opened it revealing Brad in a white t-shirt, grey joggers and sliders.

His hair looked as though he had just washed it quickly and he had glasses on which he didn't before.

He opened his arms for Layla to go to him. It's strange how much she's latched onto him considering how she can be funny she can be around new people.

We sat down on the sofa, Brad still cradling Layla. 'She's due her feed now.' I told him as I got up to make her bottle.

'I can do it if you want?' He offered causing me to smile.

'If you really want to.' I joked.

Once her bottle was ready I brought it over to him for her to take.

Within 15 minutes she had finished, he handed her to me to burp before I put in her cot as she was nearly sleeping.

I sat down again next to Brad, we were watching 'Love, Rosie' seeing as he had never seen it before.

As the film played I found myself sink more into him.

By the end of it I was cuddled up against him as his arms were around me, Layla was on my chest since she woke up and was irritated.

After we had watched the movie we began to get ready for bed. I put Layla to bed and went to the bathroom.

I made my way back to the kitchen to get a glass of water. As I was walking back to my bedroom I saw Brad lying on the sofa.

'Brad.' I said grabbing his attention. 'You can sleep in the bed.' I told him.

'I don't want to make you uncomfortable or anything.' He said softly. I couldn't help but smile at how thoughtful he was being.

'No after what you've been through today, I don't mind. Also I could do with some company.' I told him as he looked at my shyly and got off of the sofa and followed me to my room like a lost puppy.

I got in the side beside where Layla's cot was, him getting in next to me.

'Thank you Ellie.' He spoke through the silence.

'What for?' I asked.

'For being here for me.' He spoke softly.

'There's no need to thank me, anytime Brad.' I told him.

After a while of silence I broke it.

'Night Brad.'

'Goodnight Ellie.'