Lean On Me

Chapter 27

Monika was stressed beyond belief.

She had been busy for the past week looking for a job while still looking after Sayori.

The poor girl seemed to have no means of love or solidarity without Monika, so Monika felt it was her duty to support her lover.

"Monika~!" Sayori sang as she skipped into the room, wrapping her arms around Monika from behind.

Monika sighed, putting on a smile to let Sayori think she was fine.

"Hey, Sayo." she said enthusiastically.

Sayori chuckled, resting her head on Monika's shoulder.

"You looked kinda upset. I thought you could use a hug!" Sayori said.

"Is it obvious..?" Monika sighed, letting her smile fall.

"A bit... But I also know you." Sayori came around to sit beside her on the couch.

"And I know that you're stressed about finding a place to live." Sayori nudged her gently, giving Monika a sympethetic smile.

"Yeah... A bit..." Monika smiled genuinely this time.

"Well don't be! There's no rush for you to find a job or house. We're still young!" Sayori told her.

"I'm not young. I'm 17 and a junior in high school." Monika replied, jokingly rolling her eyes.

"That's still young! We're kids! I'm not making you get a house, your parents aren't making you, your friends or teachers aren't... It's all you, Moni. You're the only one stressing this." Sayori pulled Monika into her arms, hugging her close.

"Sayo..." Monika whispered as she hugged back tightly, screwing her eyes shut to keep herself from crying.

"You can stay here as long as you need, I've already told you this! I don't want to be some pathetic baby everyone needs to protect, Monika. I can take care of myself. I want you to depend on me a bit, too, ya know..." Sayori finished softly, stroking Monika's hair.

"Sayori.. I-I'm sorry... I promise.. I promise I'll try to lean on you more if I can't take it... I won't worry you again..." Monika said, muffled by Sayori's neck.

"Okay... Thank you..." Sayori smiled softly, rubbing Monika's back to ease her.

Monika sniffed, fighting to keep herself from crying as she gripped Sayori's shirt in her trembling fists.

"It's okay, Moni... I won't judge if you need to cry, okay?" Sayori assured her, feeling Monika nod against her in response.

Monika relaxed, feeling the tears that had welled start freefalling down her face as she let out a sob.

"Shhh, it's okay. I've got you." Sayori cooed, patting her back as Monika hiccuped through her sobs.

"I-I... W-Why can't I- D-Do anything b-by mys-self?" Monika sobbed, beginning to shake.

"Moni, Moni! That's not true, okay! You're doing just fine. And you're not alone, got it? Cuz I'm right here, and I'm not gonna abandon you to figure everything out alone like they did." Sayori said sternly so Monika would listen.