008: concurring dead ends

eight

eight . . . concurring dead ends
( october 29, 2149 — mount weather )

          AS QUICKLY AS Cullen was out of the vents, she was back in them, meeting Bellamy where they had agreed they'd meet whenever they needed to discuss something

AS QUICKLY AS Cullen was out of the vents, she was back in them, meeting Bellamy where they had agreed they'd meet whenever they needed to discuss something. It had only been Cullen who went along to tell Maya everything herself and Bellamy had heard when next to the Harvest Chamber, with the Blake man remaining in the vents, talking to Raven about the dismissal of the Acid Fog — or so Cullen thought.

Her conversation with Maya lasted only minutes, as the Vie girl had to get back to work before Doctor Tsing noticed she was gone. Cullen caught her up with everything, informing Maya that Clarke was leaving to warn the Grounders in the target village, while Raven was working out a way for Bellamy and herself to dismantle the Acid Fog machines. Maya understood, and asked only a question: if Cullen had had the chance to talk to Jasper yet, which she hadn't. The delinquents were being sectioned in their room, no one being able to exit unless escorted by Doctor Tsing and a group of Guards.

So much was happening, and so quickly, and Cullen felt hopeless with the realization there was no way in which she could put a stop to it all. There was no way she could stop the bone marrow extractions, or the missal being sent out to kill innocent Grounders. All she could do was crawl around the vents, being useless to Bellamy, but not being able to leave, either.

When Cullen arrived at the space herself and Bellamy had agreed to meet back up, it was empty, with no sign of the Blake man having been there since she had left him. There was no plan for Bellamy to go anywhere — Cullen was going to talk to Maya, Maya couldn't leave work, and Bellamy needed Cullen with him for when Raven came up with a plan to disable the Acid Fog. He wasn't supposed to leave the vents; Cullen and Maya had specifically told him to avoid being out on the levels as much as possible.

It was fifteen minutes later when Bellamy reappeared, putting an end to Cullen's panicked pacing.

"Where have you been?" She scolded, barely giving the man enough time to lower himself from the tunnel to the ground. "It wasn't in the plan for you to go anywhere. You were supposed to stay here until I got back from talking to Maya, then we'd go work on the Acid Fog."