023: no impediments

twenty three

twenty three . . . no impediments
( february 15, 2150 — arkadia )

          IN THE NINE days that followed Pike's succession as Chancellor, things around Arkadia had gotten worse

IN THE NINE days that followed Pike's succession as Chancellor, things around Arkadia had gotten worse. Cullen wasn't sure if it was visible to anybody else, but she could see the clear divide between those who agreed with Pike's plans to take more land as their own, and those who simply wanted to live in peace with the Grounders. There was no middle ground — it was one side, or the other, and Cullen detested it.

She tried to understand it; why being on Pike's side was more appealing. She watched his faction carefully, monitoring their moves to try and determine what it was that Pike was saying to them to make them believe killing Grounders and wiping out entire villages was the right thing to do. Ultimately, she came back with nothing — she was in Kane's faction, wanting nothing more than to make right of the wrongs her people had done.

None of it mattered to Cullen at the current moment. She walked hastily alongside Kane and Miller in the direction of the Chancellor's office — she hadn't been told what they were doing, only that Kane wanted her to be there with them. A similar situation came to mind as they approached what used to be Abby's office; a time in Mount Weather when Cullen was recruited to help Jasper, Monty, Miller, and Harper break into Dante Wallace's office. This was the same, somewhat, although she never expected to be breaking the law with Kane, somebody who enforced it almost religiously.

"Want me to take watch?" Cullen asked as they approached the door.

"No, that's all right. Both of you step aside in case someone answers." Kane ordered, lightly.

"I told you, no one's home." Answered Miller, but the two of them stepped aside anyway. Cullen's neck turned in the direction of the approaching hallway, while Kane knocked three times on the metal door. When they were greeted with no answer, Miller began chuckling to himself quietly.

Kane turned to him, a tested expression coating his features. "What?"

Miller shrugged, biting back his grin. "Bet you didn't think we'd be breaking the law together when you arrested me on the Ark, huh?"