040: living in fear

forty

forty . . . living in fear
( march 18, 2150 — arkadia )

          IN THE FOLLOWING four days, things had leveled out around Arkadia

IN THE FOLLOWING four days, things had leveled out around Arkadia. After their argument about Clarke's list, Bellamy returned to his residence and himself and Cullen talked about the situation rationally, with them agreeing to take every day as it came, hoping that they didn't have to use the list. He also informed Cullen of their estimated two months until Praimfaya reached them; according to Raven's calculations, if they tripled their workload, then maybe they'd be ready to leave by the time the radiation came, but maybe was doubtful.

The situation involving the irradiated fish affecting Luna was cleared by the end of the day the last of the Boat People died. Due to her Nightblood, Luna's body was able to recover itself in under a few hours, all of the symptoms Abby and Jackson had recorded just disappearing as though they hadn't been there. It was because of that discovery that Abby, along with a group of volunteers, made their way to Becca's Island the following evening, Abby believing that maybe Nightblood was their way forward — the way for everybody to survive.

Cullen had been invited along, the Vander female declining Abby's offer, reasoning she was needed at Arkadia now more than ever with Raven accompanying the group to Becca's Island. She donated Abby some of her blood for testing, wishing them the best on their discoveries before they, Abby, Jackson, Raven, Miller, Murphy, Emori, Luna, and Nyko, took off on their journey, leaving Cullen in charge of helping to fix the ship and oversee rationing.

She had just finished the redesign on the hangar bay door when she spotted Clarke and Monty walking their way up from the gate, the serious expression on Clarke's face contrasting heavily with the one that lifted Monty's lips. The sight of her friend genuinely smiling brightened Cullen's dull day, with her moving from the entrance of the hangar bay to join them on their stroll.

"Clarke, you're not a geneticist." Monty said as Cullen pulled up beside them.

"Neither is my Mom." Clarke answered dully, simply raising her eyebrows in greeting to Cullen.