05 | Broken

Miesha

discretion advised, triggering scenes

A blurred stretch of brightness swept across my line of sight as panic overcame me. Gasping for air I bolted upright as a figure loomed over me, with others standing slightly further behind. I couldn't focus on anything in particular, overwhelmed by the unknown scent suffocating my senses and confusing my mind. "Get away, get away, get away!!!!" I screamed as loud as I could, pulling at my hair and rocking back and forth as I kicked my legs wildly in the direction of the threat.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you. I promise I won't hurt you... Just breathe. Breathe..."

I had no idea where I was, and overcome with the unknown before me, I felt cornered in an unfamiliar environment. No, no, no, no. Run. I felt my mind splintering, my sanity on a knife point as I struggled to make sense of what was happening. Screaming, I whipped my arms, snarls erupting from my mouth as my nails aimed to claw anything that came too close. Blood squirted as I ripped a needle from my arm, before I hurled my body off the bed, crashing against the cold, tile floor. Shaking uncontrollably, I huddled, backing into the corner of the room. Using my arms to drag my lower half across the floor, instinct drove my actions as I stared at the black shoes in front of my line of sight. "No! Please! No!!!" I turned into the corner, begging to be put out of my misery. Clawing at the drywall as if I could climb into a hole, I was desperate to escape from this nightmare.

I wailed and wailed for what seemed like forever, before I yielded to exhaustion. Huddled immobile against the wall, I could still see three sets of feet in the room with me. I dared not to look up and face my tormentors, and instead took my mind far away.

So, sleep
Fall into night's indigo hue
Believe me it's true
There's nothing that I would not do
For my dream is sweet dreams for you...

I was so lost in my childhood lullaby that I didn't even notice the pinch in my arm. Startled, I hit myself against my temples repeatedly, fighting the urge to fall asleep against my will. I turned to see who was responsible, and met the gaze of man who was crouched down beside me, staring intently with an expression I couldn't decipher.

"It's okay... I promise it will be okay..."

I crawled in no particular direction, dragging my legs behind me in a pitiful attempt to flee. My movements slowed, paralleled by the man who remained beside me. "Stop fighting and let go. You're safe now." His words meant nothing to me and I'd have told him I hoped I wouldn't wake up if I'd been able to respond. But my body slumped, my breathing slowed and I lay motionless, exposed and vulnerable on the floor.

The last thing I felt before fading to black was being bundled by arms into a cocoon of warmth and protection. I had no idea what was happening, but I succumbed to the dream and faded to black once more.

Gabriel

"The hardest part is over Gabriel. You brought her back from the astral plane, it's up to the doctors now..." Adrienne's words were lost on me as she left the room quietly, leaving me alone with my mate.

Our pack doctor Catherine had already previously explained to me the extent of her injuries. A fractured hip, numerous cracked ribs and other wounds in various states of healing. I wasn't as worried about her physical state, knowing that in time I had the capacity to heal her through the mate bond, but seeing her earlier this morning brought home the extent of the psychological trauma that had occurred as a result of Jacob's brutality.

A knock at the door brought me back to my senses, James and Clara standing on the other side. Walking past my mate as she slept comfortably, I shut the door behind me and left her room. "Gabriel, I am so sorry for what has happened to your mate. Is there anything you need me to do?"

"Thank you for keeping her in your thoughts Clara, but she is getting the best care possible. What is important is that you try not to worry and focus on that pup of yours that's on its way..." I smiled, cupping her shoulder before looking at James. He knew what I wanted answers on...

"Thank you. I'll keep you both in my thoughts. James, I'll be waiting downstairs in the waiting area." As Clara turned to leave, I didn't waste any time.

"Well?" My eyes narrowed, and before James spoke, I already knew the answer.

"There's no trace of him Gabe... We've had Neve tracking, along with the others and we've lost his scent. I don't understand. It's fucked!"

"Someone's taken him in, people don't just vanish without a trace. He has to be working with someone."

Why the fuck would anyone protect that son of a bitch was beyond me. My mate was balancing between life and death because my selfish brother wanted to be Alpha. I'd have given it up if I knew then what I did now. But what was done was done, and there was no chance he would be out there for long. As much as I wanted revenge, it would have to wait. I needed to secure my pack borders, confirm my allegiances with the neighbouring packs and develop treaties and trades in order to strengthen the protection of my pack and my mate for Jacob's impending attack. It was no longer a matter of if, not when... He knew I had her and I knew this was just the beginning. He was fucking with me, but what he didn't count on was the strength my mate brought me. I had more reason that I'd ever had to fight for my pack, and surges of adrenaline pumped through my veins at the prospect of what I'd do to him when I had him.

James nod of reassurance snapped me out of thoughts. "Thank you for taking care of things while I stay here with my mate. I know the pack is safe with you".

"It's nothing. Take all the time you need." And with that, I turned and re-entered my mate's room, settling in the chair in the corner against the window. The beeping of the heart monitor was hypnotic as I stared at the sun's afternoon reflection casting a warm glow across her porcelain skin.

I knew from her heart rate she would wake again soon, and I knew that when she did, she wouldn't cope with my presence. On Catherine's advice, I agreed for our spiritual healer Adrienne and herself to calmly and slowly help her settle into her new surroundings, not that I wanted her in the sterility and coldness of this hospital for long.

It pained me greatly to hand over the reins of comforting my mate to others, but it wasn't the time to be possessive. If there was any chance of sharing a life with her, I needed to tread carefully... I was heartbroken at what my presence implied to her, but although her trust was shattered, it wasn't irreparable. Now that I had her, I wasn't about to lose her due to my own selfishness.

As her heart rate increased, and her fingertips clutched at the sheets, I whispered a tender goodbye before leaving the room. Passing by Catherine and Adrienne as they sat beside her, I didn't miss her eyelids begin to flutter as she prepared to wake from her slumber.

Stepping out of the room, I shut the door behind me. I sighed as I leaned against the hallway. My shoulders slumping from the tension I had no idea I was holding in. I needed to get the hell out of here, it was all becoming too much.

I had to shift and I had to shift now. My wolf needed to unleash his despair at the unrepentant moon and make the forest echo with his forlorn song...

 My wolf needed to unleash his despair at the unrepentant moon and make the forest echo with his forlorn song

Thank you for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.