07 | Uncertainty

Miesha

Despite not being in the car for long, I lost myself with each twist and turn through the mountain side. I rested my head against the window, as the sun eyed my arrival through the unending forest beside me.

I felt unease as soon as the car stopped. Clearly, we were not at Adrienne's cabin. Seeing my nerves seep to the surface, Adrienne placed her hand on my thigh, "This is our Alpha's Residence... Gabriel. It has been arranged that we stay here for your protection."

"No, I can't."

My eyes plead with her to give me a different answer.

"It was Gabriel's decision and he won't be around anyway. He has other matters to attend to..."

I could smell the dominance through the locked windows. If he wasn't here now, he hadn't left much earlier. The top notes of oak, citrus and a hint of leather accosted my senses. I felt suffocated and began to tremble.

I put my hands in my lap in a conscious effort to stop digging my nails into my hands. Rolling my lips before spitting out the words at a furious pace,

"Adrienne... Please. Can we just stay at your cabin? I don't think... I can be around... another man right now... especially not your Alpha."

"He isn't who you think he his. Besides, trust me... There is no safer place for you right now."

Looking at her confused I slumped into the passenger seat. Defeated. I couldn't sit in the car forever, in fact I couldn't even walk unassisted.

Adrienne jumped out of the driver's seat, walked around and opened my door. Arm extended, I placed my hand into hers, before settling into the crutches she'd gotten from the boot.

I stared up at this man's home in awe. It was breathtaking. And huge. Nestled at the peak of pack border, it oversaw the expansive territory where cabins scattered below amidst paint strokes of greenery.

Soaking in the view, I slowly followed Adrienne up to the steps. Sensing my hesitation, she turned and gestured for me to follow.

It was painstakingly slow trying to walk up the steps on crutches. I was becoming annoyed that Adrienne expected me to do this alone. Huffing in frustration, I shifted up each step with behemoth effort.

Once I reached the top, I glared at her as she smirked at me, complete with folded arms across her chest. Yes, I did it. Spare me.

Remnants of snow littered the timber deck as I stood before the front entry. Shifting nervously, I held my breath as the door creaked opened.

What I didn't expect to see was another woman. She didn't seem like a Luna, but her status was obvious. She was a mix of ferocity, warmth and  strength, her pride in this pack was obvious.

Her short black hair swept across her face, as she buried her hands in her hoodie. She was observing me as much as I was her, probably disgusted at the thought of having to babysit me, a unclaimed Rogue draining the pack's resources.

"Geez... Manners, Neve. You'll give her a heart attack... "

"My apologies... The name's Neve. Like, uh, Adrienne said. I'll be keeping an eye on things during your stay. Make yourself at home. I'll show ya 'round."

Nodding in the direction of the door, she extended it open, allowing Adrienne and I inside.

I hesitated at the threshold. His scent washing over me once more.

Knowing exactly why I'd stopped, Neve piped up. "I swear he isn't here, if he were, he'd kill me for doing this...." before running over and jumping on his couch. "See?" She huffed, before thudding back onto the wooden floor.

Whilst my jaw dropped at her nerve, Adrienne just laughed, "Never mind Neve, you'll get used to her. Let's get you settled into your room."

The place was like a maze, but I knew that in part it took so long because of the difficulty I had walking.

Unlike the front steps, I needed help from Neve and Adrienne in taking the large flight of stairs to the bedroom.

Once up the top, we passed an open living area like on the ground level, before passing a few doors I didn't have the energy to be curious about.

Without warning we reached a large oak door. "This is your room... I hope it is to your liking. Gabe prepared it with your comfort in mind."

"Thank you Neve."

Upon stepping inside I was overwhelmed... A haven of beauty unfolded before my vision. A king size bed was in the middle of the room, covered in white bedding and throw pillows against a beige feature wall.  Two timber bedside tables were on either side of the bed, the lamps on each casting a dim light across the floor.

Opposite the bed was an open door to an en-suite bathroom, whilst straight ahead were french doors that led to a private balcony, complete with potted plants, a deck chair and small table. The aroma of pine filtered through the room as I opened it to the landscaped view. It smelt so fresh... like undisturbed wilderness, the calming effect almost immediate.

It was beautiful and I didn't know why I was receiving such treatment.

"So... umm...  I'll be staying in the room next door and Adrienne is across the hall. Call out if you need."

With that, both Neve and Adrienne left me alone, shutting the door behind them. I took a moment to soak in everything that had transpired. Walking further into the room, I placed the crutches down as I sat carefully at the foot of the bed. I stared at my toes, too overwhelmed to look anywhere else as confusion etched itself across my face.

I couldn't believe how much my life had changed in such a short time. What was worse was that I felt like I was simply an observer to it all unfolding before me. My wolf was angered by my weakness, yet here in this moment, she was unusually content. Like me, I assumed she was simply exhausted from it all. All my life had become were scattered puzzle pieces with no way of knowing how it all fit together...

Why was I here? Why do they care? But worst of all, when will he find me? 

Thank you for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.