25 | Alliance

Gabriel

"Nate, how is your father holding up?"

His expression was fixed as he gazed out in the window, trapped in his own torment.

Stepping into my office, Neve and James had been waiting with Nate, Alpha Greyson's son to hear how we were going to handle the fall out from the attack on Sandstone the night before.

"It's your decision but we have an excellent healer, Adrienne who can tend to your father and we can work on securing your pack... Anyone who wants refuge can stay here in safety... thoughts?"

The three of us waited for Nate to respond, a look of relief forming across his face. "You have no idea how grateful we all are for your support. My father would want those who can stay back to do so, while the others have a safe place to stay until our territory is restored and secure."

I nodded briefly, tapping my desk in thought, "Do you know what we will face when we get there? What are we in for?"

Uncertainty dripped from his brows, gulping as he gathered his words. "It all happened so fast. From what I've been able to piece together, Jacob and his pack, for lack of a better word, stormed through the boundary to our West. They took our watchers out in wolf form, if the state of their remains are anything to go by." He paused before continuing, "They headed straight for the pack house, wounded my father who'd heard the commotion and left as quick as they came..."

Straight away I knew what this was. A warning. He could have killed Greyson but didn't. He wanted him to choose to whom he'd be loyal... Surrender and you keep your territory or fight and have it taken. But again, as had happened before, Jacob still couldn't see it. Leading through fear can only last so long before another replaces you.

"It's done then. We will gather our best. Neve will look at strategics into the long term and with your support, James and I will get your father and lead the rest here."

Looking perplexed Nate stood up. "What do you mean, the rest?"

"Jacob is giving your father an ultimatum. If you don't surrender your territory for him to claim, you will all die. We have the space for your pack to stay here, at least temporarily. With our warriors combined, we can finally end him and your pack can be restored without threat."

Nate nodded. I could tell part of him wondered if he could trust me... if I would simply take his pack and territory, strengthening my own. He didn't have a choice. And frankly, neither did I. Because if we didn't merge now, I risked losing Miesha forever.

~

"Alpha Gabriel, Beta James... Alpha Greyson is just in here if you will."

Greyson's mate Isobel led us through to his room, each step creaking on the timber floorboards as we walked through the hallway. "It's just Gabriel, but thank you Isobel."

Stopping in her step, it was clear Isobel didn't share the same progressive views that we had at Cross Rivers. But part of alliances meant respecting the vast diversity between packs. "Oh we are accustomed to tradition here, it is our way. I'm sorry..." she smiled politely, bowing her head down as she continued down the hall.

James mind linked me, snickering as he did so, "The 1950's called, they want their stereotypes back..."

Smiling politely, my reply was simple. "No need Luna."

As Isobel opened the brass doorknob, James and I were confronted with Greyson. Propped up in his bed, he looked tired and lost as his gaze drifted along the treeline out his window. Our scent announced our intrusion, his eyes lifting into a tight smile as he greeted us, "Alpha. Beta..."

I kept my hands in the pocket of my jeans, careful not to bring attention to my anxiety, "Alpha Greyson. Are you keeping well?"

Wincing as he shuffled further upright, "I've been better no thanks to that son of a b-"

Placing her hand on her forehead, Isobel shook her head in annoyance at his actions. "Greyson, please. Don't strain yourself. You'll pull out your stitches."

It was clear Isobel loved her mate. As she stepped forward to hand him a cup of chamomile tea, I couldn't help but wonder if this would be Miesha and I thirty years in the future... My wolf hummed at the thought.

"Alpha Greyson. James and I spoke with Nate. With your permission we would like to escort you and your pack to Cross Rivers. We have ample space and food... you are welcome to stay as long as it takes until you are better."

He mulled on my words before replying. I could sense that he felt that his reign was over. "Yes, Nate informed me of your proposal."

"Greyson... I'll be honest. You can't defeat him in your state. Likewise, I can't defeat him without your numbers. Together... together we keep our people safe. We can eliminate him Greyson... but neither of us can do it alone."

"I know. I know what he did to Shadow Moon." He was softening. "I don't want that for my pack. But I do have conditions Gabriel...."

My eyebrow raised in interest, wondering what else he could possibly expect after all I was offering to him. "If I don't make it, Nate is to take my place as Alpha of Sandstone, and you are to promise to let him do so."

"All I want is my territory and pack safe. What's yours is yours Greyson... I am true to my word."

"Then it's done."

Walking towards his bedside, we shook hands, "Your brother left me this to give to you. It's the only reason he left me alive... To ensure you got this..."

The paper slipped into my grasp as he withdrew his hand. Looking down in confusion, the handwriting was unmistakable. A sickening wave of dread washed over me as I realized my mistake...

Whose looking out for that pretty little mate of yours? Tick tock...

Thank you for reading.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.