13. Paradise High

Another day again, sigh, I like it in here. Wait, where am I again? Oh yeah when I opened my eyes I see the colorful roses blooming as the sun is rising. There were green, blood red, black red, green, and blue roses. All were rare colors that cannot be bought in markets.

"My mom planted it when I was a kid. We used to plant different things like crops, herbs and flowers but we can only do it every summer vacation." He picked stems of roses one for each color and gave it to me.

"Oh, thank you." I smelled it and we walked to the house. "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a grocery store owner in Flush city. By the way if it's okay with you, I'll bring you home next week." We went into their kitchen and opened the windows to let the lights in. I put the flowers in a vase. Wow, he lives in a rich city and I can guess that his humble life here is a lot different.

"No, I'm not in a rush, don't worry about it but I don't even know how to repay your kindness." When I looked at him he's already preparing the kitchen utensils so I helped him to make some breakfast. They have salted pork, fresh vegetables and fish that seems like it has been dropped on their doorstep.

 They have salted pork, fresh vegetables and fish that seems like it has been dropped on their doorstep

"We have people who deliver our needs. Family, that's how we treat everyone here. When I'm gone, one of the neighbors will look after my father." We started chopping on the ingredients and cooked separately. He took care of the pork while I grilled the five fish outside. There's diced tomatoes, chilli, salt, onions and garlic inserted in the bellies.

"Hey, don't surprise me like that." I grin at him while he's standing beside me checking how I am doing. When everything was done we feasted and that was the best I ever had. Well, his father was really impressed with our cooking and praised us after eating.

After breakfast we walked around and he introduced me to anyone we met. They seemed like they didn't trust me but I understood that.

"I'm glad that we met, Brazen. We're both lost." Suddenly we stopped walking and he faced me. He shyly looks away and looks above the sky. "I can see in your eyes that you're not happy with your life. Business is good but something is missing. Am I right?" He glances at me with a grin. All I can do is nod my head while my ears are burning. This guy can read me. Guess I can't hide my secret anymore.

"Why don't we help each other? I will give you some ideas in exchange for my long stay here." I started marching to continue our stroll. I started to freak out when I saw the insects coming out from where they're hiding.

"Brazen, please promise me that you'll keep everything about this to yourself." He followed me and blocked my way. The worry in his face was making me feel anxious. Well, of course you also have to understand without asking any questions. This place is really nice but no one will ever want to join them because of the insects but I should respect their privacy.

"Debonair, I'm not as ungrateful as the people you met. From the deepest part of my heart, I'm thankful that you welcomed me here. I will do anything you will wish. I will never disappoint you." Unconsciously I held his hand and smiled at him. "I'm sorry." Realizing it, I quickly let it go and held my fingers to myself.