And I Thought History was Bad

Natasha's P.O.V.

After lunch, I walked to the same lecture hall where we discussed the history of SHIELD, today though we were learning about protocol. Oh yay. For me, the only protocol that is needed is to make sure that the mission gets completed and that you don't become compromised unless you want me.

I decided to grab a seat in the back of the room and wait for my fellow classmates to join me in what I'm sure would become my own personal hell. When our lecturer entered, I realized it wasn't May but Coulson, great.

"Ok, now everyone knows things can, and possibly will, go wrong, in the field. Protocols are there to help you know what to do when something does go wrong, or something unexpected happens," Coulson said, I rolled my eyes. We wouldn't need protocol if people could just use their common sense and think on their feet. "Now does anyone know what you do when you encounter local law enforcement while on a mission?" Easy you eliminate them, unless they have information then you do whatever you need to in order to get it out of them. "No one? Ok, well most of the time law enforcement poses no threat and often times can even be an asset depending on the situation, but if they do get in your way showing your badge will get you out of almost anything."

As Coulson continued to lecture, I tried to zone out, hoping that would make the lecture pass quicker

After about thirty to forty-five minutes Coulson called on me, "Miss Romanoff?"

"Yes, sir."

"I was wondering if you know what the protocol was when you have the ability to take out your target, but there are civilians present."

"Easy, you do whatever is needed to take out your target and finish your mission."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, the mission should be the top priority. If you're a good enough agent, civilians shouldn't get in your way and if they do then it is just a byproduct of the mission.

He shakes his head, "No, what you do is you wait until your target moves into an unpopulated area, or if that is not an option you try to sedate them so that they cannot somehow hurt the civilians."

"Why do we have to learn this anyway, it's pointless."

"So that you know what to do on a mission and reduce any possible chance of civilian injuries or injury."

"Isn't a quality of a field agent the ability to think on their feet, though? I mean isn't that what our jobs are going to be, to make the hard calls. How can we do that if we're restricted by all this protocol?"

"Firstly, thinking on your feet is indeed necessary, but you need to do it in a way that won't get you or the public hurt. Secondly, protocol doesn't just have to do with field work. I also covers what the proper channels are for communication so that everyone is working in the most efficient manner possible, as well as discussing more human aspects of our career such as relationships, which, for any wondering the answer to can you have relations with another operative the answer is more often than not no so don't waste your time trying." I saw that all the girls became disheartened at that statement. "However, agents in the science or communications divisions are usually okay, unless they are your handler or something of that manner."

I rolled my eyes and continued his lecture acting as if his own operative didn't completely ignore all protocol in order to bring me here. The lecture continued for another hour and a half, then we had to fill out a quiz that Coulson handed out. The answers were pretty obvious, and I finished it fairly quickly, although I did my own comments on some of the questions. Once everyone was finished, we were dismissed and allowed to leave. Luckily for me, Barton was not outside waiting to walk me to the bunkrooms.