Chapter Two

*2 Years Later*

      "You need to go on a vacation, Sadie. Day in, day out, and you're always here in the lab! Go away for a while. You deserve it! When was the last time you got away?"

Hearing loud voices so early in the morning sent blasts of pain through my skull. How Carly was always so enthusiastic in the morning was beyond me; she didn't even need coffee; this was just how she woke up. I glanced up from my computer screen to find her staring at me, her eyes bulging as she waited for my answer. Well, she wasn't going to leave me alone 'til I said something.

"It's been a long time, Carly. I don't want to go anywhere; besides, I have no one to go with, and it's not that bad here, here," I motioned to the lab around me, "I'm making change. I'm helping to change the world, make it better for the next generation. If I go on vacation, can I change the world there?" I shook my head. "I don't think so."

She huffed, her nails tapping on my table. Click. Clack. Click. Clack. "You can change your world." She offered finally, her voice lowering. "You need a change! Go and find yourself, someone, to enjoy! I know your parents can't wait to see you bring someone home."

That caught my attention. I squinted my eyes at Carly. "Since when do you talk to my parents about me."

Her eyebrows lifted. She'd been caught red-handed. It was only with Carly's help that I got this job; normal kids right out of college didn't get chances like this. She was like family, lived next door to us my entire childhood. She looked after Blaine and I and sometimes Jasper. "I talk to them all the time! You know that."

"About me?"

She sighed. "Well, you, Blaine, and Jasper. The good old days. What with Blaine and Jasper..." Carly continued speaking though I was no longer listening; my mind had drifted away.

Jasper. I wondered how he was doing. I hadn't seen him since a few months after the funeral. He'd gotten the chance at his dream job, and he'd wanted to get away from town anyway. Too many memories of Blaine, he wanted a fresh start. I didn't' blame him, and I had practically shoved him to the new job. He'd promised to keep in touch, and he was kind of keeping that promise. A text or email once a month or once every other month if I was lucky. It was never more than a 'hello' or 'hope you're doing well.' We didn't have much to say to each other anymore; Blaine was our glue. Without the glue, we fell apart.

I couldn't help but miss him though, after the funeral, he'd stopped coming to my room. He'd done nothing wrong, I couldn't be mad at him, but I still found myself throwing out my bedding and getting something new. I learned that I didn't like having a bed to myself anymore. Just holding onto someone else made nighttime easier. Sleep eventually found me after a few trips to my doctor and therapist. They'd both helped me, but I still had some issues, one of which was explained easily, and the other was slightly more confusing. He wasn't mine, he was just a friend, but still, the void remained.

Carly snapped her fingers in front of my eyes. I'd spaced out. Again. "You with me, girl?" she asked, giving me that concerned motherly look. "You went off into outer space darling, what were you thinking?"

I shook my head; I was not getting into another conversation about boys with her; the last time was a disaster. I didn't want to repeat that., not now when I was beginning to feel like things were looking up for me after so long of feeling like life was trying to bury me under a thousand rocks. "You didn't answer my question."