Chapter Thirty-Six

Sadie

The glow from the fireplace created the ultimate ambiance of comfort. Flickers from the fire reflected on the walls. The crackles created the atmosphere needed for a relaxing meal.

The game was on the television though my dad barely gave it any mind. Just like me, his primary focus was on the food in front of us. It smelled delicious. Carly had only requested that Jasper and I bring a cake similar to the one we'd given her for that Mother's Day all those years ago. Jasper barely let her finish her suggestion before he'd grabbed all the needed ingredients and made it. He'd been up long before he woke me.

Jasper had pushed the chair to the table before leaving me to get the cake from the backseat. My parents and Carly used that time to their advantage. Mostly my mother, though.

"I knew he'd take care of you." Carly clasped her hands around a towel, her eyes on the door Jasper had just left through. "How was the night?"

I shrugged. "It was a little awkward, getting dressed and into bed, but we managed. It was weird to lay in a bed that was actually soft and thoroughly warm."

My mother placed a fork by the pie in front of me; I picked it up instantly, devouring the pie. It was delicious. No one made a homemade apple pie like Carly did. She had a secret ingredient she refused to tell any of us. I had a suspicion it was orange zest. It tasted like a delicacy no matter what. "And this morning?"

They just couldn't let me eat in peace. "We got through it."

My mother pursed her lips. I could see that she didn't like my response, wished that I had said something along the lines of 'It was great' or 'no issues at all.' I also knew she had wanted to be there with me instead of being at home like she had been.

"Mom, really," I replied, scooping another bite of the pie. "Jasper helped me through it all. Give him some credit, mom, please." My eyes were pleading with her. Her pursed lips relaxed as the doorknob twisted behind us, and the door opened. "Please."

She wasn't happy, but she relented as Jasper strode back into the room.

"What'd I miss?" he asked, placing the cake onto a counter nearby. He noticed the mini stare-down I was having with my mother.

"Nothing." My mother turned from my stare, going to sit down next to my dad, who was carving up the turkey. Jasper pouted slightly as he sat down next to me. "I'll tell you later."

He nodded, still a bit suspicious of the tense feeling the room had when he re-entered, taking the bite of pie I offered him. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Carly's jaw drop. I never shared food with people. When Jasper turned to catch a part of the game, I shot Carly a wink. Her grin grew.

A minute later, my father finished with the turkey. Everyone began to dig in. For the food I was unable to reach, four other pairs of hands were quick to put a helping or two on my plate. The plate quickly overflowed.

Turkey, cranberry sauce, potatoes and gravy, deviled eggs, cornbread, baked beans, sweet and sour meatballs, plus more than I knew the names of. Together the food created an aroma that could wake anyone from a coma. This was food heaven.

Conversation flowed in between bites and swallows. Most of it was discussing how great the food tasted. Another was the game playing behind us, though none of us paid much attention to it. We'd always been more of a food family instead of a football game family.

I knew the conversation topic wouldn't stay away from me for long, and I noticed the glances my mother continued to send my way. She was close to bursting at the seams, and when she burst? I began to wish I'd listened to Jasper and just stayed home.