Chapter Twenty-Four

Sadie

I could see now. I could feel now. I wasn't in pain. Was I dead? Couldn't I be? But as I looked around, taking in my surroundings, I realized that it was a strong possibility.

The world around me remained white, though. It was beautiful. Peaceful. It reminded me of the Kings Cross scene in the last Harry Potter movie. Harry had Dumbledore to greet him. Who would be greeting me?

I got my answer.

"Why are you here, Sades?" His voice sounded pained like he wished he didn't have to ask that question. A tinge of relief coated the words as well. He wasn't happy either way. He wasn't mad either. But he was my brother.

Blaine.

Faster than lightning, I spun around and ran for my brother. He barely had a second to prepare before I launched into his arms. My arms wrapped around his neck like a vice, just as my legs did around his waist.

He felt real. He sounded real. But he wasn't real.

When I pulled back and let him lower me to the ground, I got a good look at him.

Blaine looked just as I remembered. Tall, but not too tall with short dark hair like mine. His brown eyes somehow shone like a diamond, that wasn't possible, but it was probably the fluorescents in this place that was messing with my mind. His skin was slightly translucent.

"Why are you here, Sades?" he repeated, his hands gripping my arms. Tears were in both our eyes; I wasn't sure we were seeing the other. I didn't care if we were or not. I was looking at my brother; I was feeling him again. "What happened?"

"I don't know." It was an honest answer. "I remember driving after getting into a fight with Jasper." My eyes widened. "Was I in a car accident?"

Blaine looked confused. "I don't know if you were. Why'd you get into a fight with Jasper?" a different look captured his eyes, his lips tilted upwards at the corners. "Did I finally win the bet?"

Seriously everyone had bet on Jasper and me. Even dead, my brother won another bet. When I didn't answer, he laughed loud and uncontrolled. I wanted so badly to be mad at him but couldn't bring myself to be mad at him. I was still relieved he was here, in front of me, talking to me.

"You finally won, just like mom and Carly did."

A sad look crossed his eyes. "Mom and Carly." A small nod. "Dad. Jasper. You." He squeezed my arms. "I miss you all so damn much."

"Don't you see us? Isn't that what people in heaven do?" a realization hit me then. "Am I dead, Blaine?"

He shook his head, holding my arm up. "You're alive, but barely. Your body is fighting to stay alive."

"I want to stay with you."

Anger danced in his eyes. "No, Sadie. It would be best if you didn't stay here. I don't want you to be dead yet! You have a long ass life to live!"

"You were supposed to have a long ass life!!"

"Exactly!" he pulled me in close. "I can't now, though, so you have to for me. With Jasper. With mom and dad. Carly also!" Tears dropped onto the top of my head. "Live the life that I couldn't, Sades. Do that for me."