Chapter Twenty-One

As I drove, I saw a plane soaring across the sky. Maybe Jasper was on it. Was he thinking about me the way was thinking about him? Was he regretting the fight that wasn't his fault? Did he miss me like I missed him? Did he know how desperate I was to apologize to him, make this right?

    I knew he wasn't on that flight. He'd left hours ago; he was probably home now, hugging his parents, exchanging pleasantries as they talked about what he'd been up to since he left. He'd ignore everything that included me now; I knew that, hoped for that. No reason to upset his parents over me; I wasn't worth that.

    Stars glittered across the sky. When I looked at them, they usually soothed me. Tonight, when I looked at them, I felt nothing. I was hollow on the inside. The thing that made me full was flying away from me, probably making arrangements so that he wouldn't have to see me again. I wouldn't blame him; I'd only blame myself. It was my fault; he did nothing wrong.

    While the stars didn't soothe me, they were still beautiful. So beautiful that I wasn't paying attention. So beautiful, I failed to notice the bright lights coming my way. So beautiful, I didn't feel the impact of the other car. So beautiful, I felt nothing. So beautiful, I was joining them.

    I don't know exactly when my eyes shut; I only knew I felt pain in my heart and in my body.

    I went numb and felt nothing.

    I was nothing.

Please vote/comment/follow if you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading!