Ch. 3 Loss

Katniss' P.O.V.

I stand in front of the window facing Peeta's house and wipe the tears off my face. I need to get it together. One. Two. Three. I count the droplets of water as they run down the window pane. He's just a few yards away, come on Katniss. "Go to him" my brain tells me. But my feet won't budge. I'm stuck. Just like I was when Rue died. If had been faster, gotten to her quicker, then... Then maybe she would be here today, and everyone in 12 would be alive. And the other victors would be safe. I would have never been the Mockingjay, so Prim wouldn't be- tears threaten to spill out of my eyes. I blink them away, but it doesn't have much of an effect. Oh Prim, poor Prim. She could have had a future, grown up, became a doctor. I lose it and begin to sob. I crouch down on the floor, and Buttercup appears, purring.

--------------------------

"YOU STUPID CAT!" I pick up the ugly tom cat and send him a good distance across the room. He recovers quickly and hisses angrily at me. I scream in frustration and start thrashing around, kicking the wall with the heel of my boot and repeatedly. I shove away everything arms length from where I am, punching furniture and when I bump into the dresser, something falls onto the floor. I go to throw whatever I knocked over, but when I see what it is, I stop. I take a deep breath in and try to calm down. Slowly, I pick up the hairbrush. Prim's brush. It's a small and delicate thing, with blue and gold details along the back. It reminds me of it's owner, fragile and beautiful. I hold it for a while, moving my fingers across the intricate design. I have a flashback to before the second reaping. I see her sitting in front of the mirror at the end of the hall, carefully running the brush through her blonde hair and then putting it into some type of braid that I could never do. I complimented her and then she helped me with my own hair. She told me how much she wanted to look like me, but I'll never be able to believe her. Prim was the beautiful one, with her gorgeous locks and soft eyes. "No, I wished I looked like you, little Duck." I said. And then Prim laughed. "Quack!" she replied, giggling along with me.

--------------------------

I open my eyes. I realize I'm smiling at the memory as I look back down at the brush. I notice a few golden strands of her hair, stuck between the picks, still here after all this time. I hold the brush to my cheek and half laugh, half cry.

--------------------------

A/N: Hey guys, I missed you! Sorry I haven't updated in a while.. I was kinda stuck for a bit. At first this was just gonna be a collection of random one shots but I liked it better all connected. I know where I'm going with this story now, you won't be disappointed :) Well I hope you liked this chapter, if we have a snow day on Monday then I will most likely write another chapter Sunday night. If not, then I'll have the 4th chapter up by next weekend!! Love you guys!! :*