Ch. 12 Primrose

Katniss' P.O.V.

I still remember it. I don't think I'll ever forget. I think about it all the time, but especially now as I watch at the wind blow through the flowers outside. I think about that day when I first saw Peeta back in District 12. I didn't know what it was, the sound I mean. I had just came back from a successful hunting trip for the first time since I got back to 12. I remember hearing something scraping against rocks from far away. Then I heard dirt being shoveled. I had no idea what was going on. I kept walking and as I got closer I knew it was Peeta. Why he was digging, I had no clue. When I got close enough, I stopped in my tracks and whispered his name. He quickly turned, standing up without taking his eyes off of me.

"Hey." He said the word so simply, and it almost seemed casual, as if we hadn't been through anything.

I just stared at him, unable to move.

"You came home." I finally spoke in disbelief.

"Yeah."

I looked at him, then at the flowers in his hands wondering what he was doing.

He spoke up. "I found these, uh, right by the edge of the forest."

And then I slowly began to understand.

"It's a primrose" he explained further, holding up the flowers in his hand and squinting at me because of the bright sun.

I didn't know whether to smile or cry. So, I didn't say anything. I just dropped what I was holding and walked right into his arms, wanting to close the gap between us as soon as possible.

"I'm so sorry" he whispered into my ear. If I wasn't paying attention, I don't think I would have heard him.

I smiled into his shoulder and closed my eyes, wanting him to hold me forever.

--------------------------

I'm trapped in a daze, looking at the flowers, remembering Prim, remembering Peeta. Why shouldn't I go to him, he cares. He came back to me after being hijacked for god's sake. Even Prim would be telling me to go to him, she always did like Peeta. I start to shake. I bury my face in my hands and let the tears out. At first there's just a few, leaving hot trails down my cheeks. I couldn't save her. She was so innocent, my little sister. Primrose Everdeen, the girl I risked my life for, the reason I got into this mess. The person I would die for now if it meant she could go on living. But she won't be able to. I can't control my sobbing now. The tears flow continuously and there's no stopping them. She's dead. Not coming back. Ever.

--------------------------