Ch. 1 Nightmares

Katniss' P.O.V.

I awake screaming and hot, with beads of sweat on my forehead and very clammy palms. I shoot up and move backwards so that my head and back are propped up against the headboard. I try to dry my hands by wiping them on my shirt, but it's no use. My heart is beating a million times a minute and I just can't calm down. Everything just seemed so real. And then I remember that my dream was real. Prim is dead, so is Rue. I did watch dog mutts of my fellow tributes rip apart Cato and I did go into the area for a second time. Mags is dead and Finnick too. Twelve is destroyed, Gale did leave and I have killed innocent people.

Suddenly I hear movement from downstairs and soon enough, the loud footsteps grow closer. Someone is running up the stairs. My door swings open.

"Katniss!!?" asks a panicked voice.

"Peeta?" I whisper, confused.

"Yeah." he says, a little out of breath.

No, that's not Peeta I think to myself, Peeta hates me.

"I'm sorry, its just I couldn't sleep and when I heard you screaming I- I didn't know what to do so I came and--" Peeta pauses, catching his breath.

"Are you okay?" he asks

"It was just a nightmare" I answer.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"That's okay, um... well I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

"I'm fine" I say, trying to reassure him.

"Oh, okay. Well I should go now, bye Katniss, goodnight and I'm sorry."

"Don't be."

He smiles sweetly at me, turns and walks out of the room.

When he is just about to walk down the stairs, I stop him.

"Peeta wait."

He turns his head. "Yeah?"

"Will you stay with me?"

A look of both surprise and happiness crosses his face and he turns around, making his way toward me, muttering something like 'all', but I don't hear the rest of the word.

When he gets to the bed, he sits on the edge, not knowing what to do. I slide over and pat the now empty spot beside me. A small smile tugs at the corners of his mouth and he takes off his boots, laying down next to me on his back.

"C'mere" he murmurs.

I grin, missing the comfort of his arms and move closer, laying on my side. I rest my head on his chest, draping my right arm across his torso and he responds by pulling me even more close and wrapping his arms securely around me.

I want to tell Peeta how much I miss him, but I'm afraid it will ruin the moment and he won't feel the same way. So I don't say anything and neither does Peeta. We lay there the rest of the night in comfortable silence, holding each other, his protective arms wrapped around me.

When I start to dose off, my heart rate has slowed down and I can barely keep my eyes open. Peeta looks as tired as me and I snuggle closer to him shutting my eyes. Before I go under, I can feel Peeta brush away the hair in my face and something soft lightly presses to my forehead. The nightmares don't come tonight. And they won't ever come, not while I am here, safe, wrapped in Peeta's strong arms.

--------------------------

A/N: Well I hope you guys like it so far, don't forget to vote, comment and share my story! I love you all and thanks for reading <3