Ch. 14 Sleep

Peeta's P.O.V.

I open my eyes and notice the room is dark. The fire's out.  I turn to look at the clock and find that only an hour has passed. Katniss is leaning completely on me, so I nudge her slightly.

"Katniss, you awake?" I whisper.

Neither of us are lying down fully, but apparently we both dozed off.

"Mmm" She replies, stretching and sitting upright.

"What?" she asks me in a tired voice.

"Wanna go upstairs?"

"Yeah."

--------------------------

After we drag ourselves up the stairs, I go into my room to change, thinking she will wander off into the other room. But instead of going into another room, Katniss just follows me into mine and heads straight for the bed. She doesn't notice when I stop and turn to look at her. She ends up walking past me and climbs right under the covers without hesitating. I smile to myself, and just decide to sleep in the sweatpants I'm already wearing. I take off my shirt and walk over to the window, making sure it's open. Then I turn the light off, and I eventually make my way over to the bed. I adjust my prosthetic and crawl under the covers. She moves over, and turns to face me.

"Night" she says, but I can't read her expression in the dark.

"Goodnight" I respond, laying on my back. I stare up at the ceiling.

"Hey Peeta?"

"Yeah?"

"It's okay if I stay here right?"

"Yeah."

And then I feel the bed shift. Suddenly Katniss is pressed up against me. She lays on her side, and drapes an arm across my torso, her hand landing right over my heart. Then she entangles her legs with mine, and draws herself closer to me. I slowly move my other arm around her, resting my hand on her back.

--------------------------

We lay still in silence. Just when I think she's asleep, she adjusts her position and quietly sighs. Now's my chance to say something.

"I missed you." I whisper. It's the first thing that pops into my head.

She doesn't say anything back. For a moment I'm embarrassed, and I hope that maybe she just didn't hear me.

But then she slides closer, and places a kiss on my jaw. She adjusts herself again so she can hug me tighter. I smile into the darkness, close my eyes and finally let myself sleep.

--------------------------

A/N: Hey tributes! Thank you so much for voting and commenting, I'm so grateful for all of my readers! Sorry for the short chapter, there's more to come soon. DFTBA ❤️