Ch. 15 Bad Weather

Katniss' P.O.V.

When I open my eyes, I feel safe. Peeta's behind me with both arms around my waist, and the fingers of my left hand are laced with his. I don't know what got into me last night, I guess I was just sick of wanting to be with Peeta, but not doing anything about it. So I came here. I let go of his hand and flip over so I'm facing him. He's still asleep, and his face looks peaceful. I move closer toward him, trying to capture the warmth he's radiating. He awakens and looks down at me. He's always been a light sleeper. Well I guess we both have, it's just a survival mechanism.

"Hey." He mumbles when I start to stir.

"Hi." I say, but the word comes out all hoarse. I clear my throat.

"You sleep okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, how 'bout you?" he asks in a raspy voice. I turn to face him.

"Pretty good" I reply trying to suppress a smile.

"Good." He says glancing back at me with a smirk. He leans down and places a kiss on my forehead. I close my eyes and let the warmth consume me. Then he moves over a little and closes his eyes again. I look up at him, scanning his face, trying to hold onto the moment. I yawn and when I remove my hand from my mouth, I glance back at Peeta and his eyes make contact with mine. Suddenly I feel embarrassed, like I got caught staring. He chuckles and rolls onto his side, facing me. I give him a shy smile and then move closer, burying my face into his the sheets covering his shoulder, and reaching out so my right arm wraps around his side. He runs his fingers through my hair. I just close my eyes and cling onto him and all the steadiness he brings.

--------------------------

"Katniss?" Peeta asks in a hushed voice.

I open my eyes and look up at him.

"I thought you were asleep." he asks with a surprised look.

I shake my head.

"I wish I could lay here forever." I say quietly, resting my head back into his pillow.

He lets out a breath.

"Who says we can't?" he jokes and I can feel his eyes on me.

Now it's me laughing.

"What's so funny?" he asks defensively.

"Nothing." I say failing at wiping a smile off my face.

"What?" Peeta asks with a cheeky grin.

When I don't respond, he continues to talk. "Whatever, I was just gonna say that it's pretty gross outside." he states matter-of-factly.

"Yeah?" I question him.

"So..." He states dragging out the o.

"So..." I repeat in the same tone dragging out the last letter.

"Wanna stay inside today?"

"Sounds good" I say and roll out of bed.

"Where are you going?" Peeta asks, propping himself up on his elbow, confused.

"Do you have clothes I can borrow?" I ask, feeling weird about it.

"Yeah." Peeta smirks and gets out of bed. He opens his closet tosses me a sweater. I walk over to him.

"And here's some pants." he says handing me his sweatpants.

"Thanks." I look up and give him a quick smile.

"I'm gonna make some food while you're in the shower."

"Okay, sounds good" I say.

We make eye contact and he gives me a shy smile. He steps closer, places a hand loosely under my jaw and brushes his lips against my forehead. I hold my breath involuntarily. When he steps away I look up at him and a small smile tugs at the corner of his mouth. Then he walks past me without saying anything. When I turn around, he's already making his way down the stairs.

--------------------------

When I get out of the shower, I slip on Peeta's over-sized sweater and sweatpants. I wipe off the steam from the mirror and look at my reflection. Nothing's changed since the war, except for my hair. Most of it has grown back and now falls far below my shoulders. But I've learned to accept the fact that I'll always look like this. I exit the bathroom and start walking down the stairs, following the sweet scent of fresh bread. I see Peeta in the kitchen with his back to me, flouring a cutting board and coating his hands in the white powder.

"Hey." I call out when I'm close enough. He jumps a little before turning around, and I can't help but let out a small laugh.

"Well hi" he says taking in a breath.

He gives me a shy smile.

"So you're making bread?"

"Well I'm trying to." He turns back.

"Oh please." I say dismissively and walk to the other side of the counter so I'm facing him again.

"What?" Peeta looks up from kneading some dough.

"You, trying to make bread." I say rolling my eyes.

"Come on, weren't you born doing this sort of stuff?" I ask jokingly.

"Very funny." he replies and I try to suppress a smile.

"Well I don't really remember how I'm supposed to cook bread from district 6, I've only made it one other time." he explains, concentrated on kneading.

"Oh I'm sure it'll be fine." I reassure him.

He flashes a smile, still not looking up from his work. So, I reach over him and snatch a piece of the dough from the second bowl.

"I'll just test it."

He goes to block my hand, but he's too late and I sneak a bite.

"Hey!"

"Oh ew!" I say and make a face while I pretend to gag.

"What? Is it really that bad?" Peeta says with a disappointed voice.

I turn around and nod. Peeta then rips himself off a piece and focuses only on tasting it.  He stops and gives me a confused look, furrowing his eyebrows.

"So I guess I am a good liar..." I say with a smirk.

"Ha ha." He says sarcastically and turns his attention back to the dough.

--------------------------

A/N: Hey tributes! Don't worry, that was only half of a scene, in the next chapter, they'll still be cooking lol. But um holy shit guys, 11.9k reads, that's CRAZY!!! I love you all so much and I'm so happy this many people are reading my story! I honestly can't thank you enough but I want you to know how much I appreciate all of your votes, comments and reads! ❤️ P.S. I went to The Hunger Games Exhibition on the 28th and holy fucking shit it was amazing, I got chills. Comment if you've been / are going! asdsafdfsgdhfhglkfdhsg It was so cool and perfect and brb crying. I'll update soon. Don't forget to vote and comment! (also I didn't forget about Hayffie, that's coming soon).