Ch. 9 Comfort

Katniss' P.O.V.

As I step out of the bathroom and into the guest room I undo my braid and let my hair fall down into place. I make my way over to the bed and lay down, breathing in the sweet scent of Peeta's shirt. I can't help but wish he was here, lying next to me. No, no I can't think like that, ever since his hijacking, he hasn't felt the same about me. But I can hope. I mean he did invite me to stay the night. I sigh and crawl under the covers, imagining he was here with me.

--------------------------

Peeta's P.O.V.

I wake up, startled by a bloodcurdling scream. Am I in the arena? What's going on? I rip the covers off of me and sit up in bed. No. No I'm not in the arena, I'm here, home. It's safe. Right? Just as I begin to calm myself down, I hear it again. Katniss! I frantically jump out of the bed, practically tripping over myself as I remember how I asked her to stay the night. Is she alright? Panic courses through my veins as I try to shake the possibility that she's dying out of my head.

"KATNISS!!!" I shout out for her as I sprint through the hallway. When I finally make it to her room I can barely open the door because I'm shaking so much.

"KATNI-" I stop in the doorway. She's asleep. I let out a sigh of relief and make my way to her.

"Thank God." She's alright, well physically. She's still asleep and thrashing around on the bed. I get on the matress, hovering over her.

"Katniss! Katniss wake up!" I say loudly, shaking her shoulders.

"Katniss wake up! It's not real wake up! Katniss wake up. It's not real-" I'm stopped when she jumps up, almost banging into me.

"Peeta!!" she shouts latching onto me, causing me to fall back a little. She starts crying.

"Hey. Hey, shhhhh. Shhh, you're okay, shh" I say trying to soothe her.

"I thought you were dead!" she says accusingly.

"No, I'm fine, I'm here, it's alright, you're alright."

"Peeta." Is all she says, still not letting go of me. I run my fingers through her hair.

"Shh. It's okay." I repeat until she calms down a bit. After a while, I pull away a little to look at her. I push away the hair covering her face and try to get a smile out of her. 

"Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. You're kinda stuck with me." I say. It works and she smirks a little. I lean in and give her a quick kiss on the lips. The second I do it I regret it. Great, now I just ruined any last chance of rebuilding a relationship with her. I mentally slap myself.

"Sorry-" I say hesitantly. She just sits there, staring at me. Maybe she's angry.

"Im sorry, I- I should go." I say, getting up. Then out of nowhere, she grabs my wrist.

"No!" she calls out, her voice cracking. "Stay. Please?" she asks. What? I thought she wanted me to go.

"What?" I ask, making sure I heard her correctly.

"Stay with me?" she says, slowly intertwining her fingers into mine.

"Always." I say, smiling slightly.

--------------------------

Katniss' P.O.V.

I can't believe Peeta kissed me, I thought he still hated me. Maybe Prim was right, and the old Peeta's still in there, trying to get back to me. As he climbs into bed, I can't help but grin at the familiar feel of him next to me. He seems to remember too and positions himself like he used to on the train. He puts his arm out for me to rest my head, while he drapes the other across my waist. I eagerly cuddle back into him, missing his touch. He responds by moving even closer. We lay there for a little, in comfortable silence. Then Peeta speaks up.

"Get some sleep?" he whispers, his voice tickling my neck.

"Yeah." I whisper back.

"Okay, Goodnight"

"Goodnight Peeta." I say, shutting my eyes.

--------------------------