𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕

"Wait up guys!" Seth shouted, laughing at Jacob and William with matching grins on their faces.

They sat atop the cliff for a moment, and William peered down over the edge, feeling the thrill of adrenaline coursing through him as his gaze locked onto the moody waters below. For a moment, William was filled with a strange sense of peace, and he wished he could embrace it, but Jacob's low chuckle broke him out of his thoughts as he shook his head slightly at the boy's antics.

"Guess you were just too slow, Seth" Jacob teased, folding his arms over his chest.

"Can we stop bringing that up," Seth groaned, his lips forming into a pout. "Besides, that happened at the party we had years ago on the La Push Reservation."

Jacob shrugged and ignored Seth's protests as shook his head with a reminiscent smile. "It's still fun to tease you about."

William laughed softy and turned to face Seth and Jacob. "Who wants to jump first?"

Seth stepped backwards. "You're going first," he stated. Jacob lowered his head as he bit back a laugh, turning his head and raising one eyebrow at Seth who simply smiled sheepishly.

William shrugged. "Fine by me"

Seth's face lit up in excitement and a bright smile overtook his face. "I've heard your pretty good at cliff diving," he questioned.

"I'm a natural," William responded, smiling back and shrugging his shoulders.

Jacob's posture noticeably stiffened and William turned to face him, his face morphing into concern. "You alright, Jacob?" he asked gently. "You don't have to jump if you don't want to," he added, his gaze locked on Jacob's tense shoulders.

"It's not that, William-" he responded quickly, looking upward at William. "It's just, uh-" he said, and for once, Jacob looked nervous as he gestured towards the cliff. William didn't miss the hint in his eyes.

"Bella would kill us if she ever found out we let you do this." Jacob replied, his lips curling upwards, but his shoulders remained rigid and tense. William's gaze lingered on them for a moment before he shook his head and lifted his gaze.

William let out a sight of relief and smiled back at Jacob. "Yeah, she would," he breathed. "I wouldn't want to imagine that."

"Me either," Seth chimed in. "Your mom is honestly scary when she's mad."

William barked out a laugh and smiled faintly. "I'll make sure to tell her that," he murmured.

William sighed and smiled once more before peering over the edge. Taking a deep breath, he turned back towards Jacob and Seth. Both of them smiled and Seth nodded encouragingly. With one last smile directed their way, William turned and whooped happily before leaping off of the cliff.

He gained speed as he fell through the air. He could hear the faint sound of his pounding heartbeat as the wind roared in his ears and his stomach sunk as he adjusted to the familiar feeling of weightlessness as adrenaline coursed through him. It was an exhilarating feeling. It felt as if a fire was spreading through his body. For a moment, it made him feel truly alive.

When he hit the water, the air was sucked from his lungs and he was suspended in silence. The cold water shocked his senses and the fire slowly lessened, diminishing as the cold nipped at his skin.

Bubbles floated around him, and his eyes followed them to the surface. The cold water pierced his skin, sending a jolt to his brain. but it was silence and peace. A moment of bliss. It was just him. Nobody else. His legs and arms kicked through the water, and his muscles burned as he swam towards the surface, but he didn't feel urgency. He only could feel peace as the water surrounded him like a cold embrace.