Ch. 15 - The Truth

⚠️WARNING ⚠️ TALKS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT AFTER THE *

"SUSPENDED?!" My mother voice yelled from the phone.

I sighed,"Yes ma'am for four days."

"Micheal, what happened?"

"This as—jerk was being really rude to my friends, and he happened to say the wrong thing to the wrong person," I lied, leaning back in my seat.

Damien and Lucy were sitting in front of me, and both were silent like somebody just died.

My mother sighed,"I'll talk to your father about your punishment. But I will say that I'm glad you stood up for your friends."

"Thanks, Mom. Love you."

"Love you, too, sweetie."

Then the phone call ended, and I tossed my phone in the seat next to me.

We were in the limousine, and none of us has spoken a word to each other. Lucy looks like she is going to throw up, and Damien has his emotions hidden like usual. But I noticed his jaw was tightened.

"How did you know?" Lucy asked, softly, making me and Damien look over at her.

She kept her eyes on me, and I cleared my throat. "Brody told me that he didn't do nothing to you, and I was wondering why he would say that. Then everything clicked."

A tear slid down Lucy's cheek, and Damien looked like a statue, hiding his emotions behind a stone wall.

The rest of the ride was silent. I didn't know what to say or do. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and lose two people that are becoming extremely important in my life.

When the driver stopped at my place, I finally broke the tension in the air.

"Do you two want to come up? My uncle isn't home," I asked before adding,"and I know you guys don't want to go back to your apartment since it's only two o'clock because then you will have to answer questions from your parents."

The principal didn't suspend them, but he sent them home for the day. I guess he thought their parents would give them a punishment.

Damien nodded,"Yeah you're right. I really don't feel like explaining why we aren't in school to somebody who doesn't want to listen."

Lucy slightly nodded, and I opened the door so everybody could get out. After I stepped out, Damien and Lucy followed, quietly.

Nobody said a word while we rode the elevator up to the penthouse. When the elevator doors opened, I saw Max running towards us.

Except he wasn't running to me.

He was running to Damien, who scooped him and rubbed his belly.

Damien didn't have a smile on his face, but I see the happiness flicker in his eyes.