Lavender Envelopes - Mitch Evans ✔

Collaboration with why-are-you-here- and an-f1-simp because there is not enough Mitch content on Wattpad. Go check out their works too!

Inspired by: ghostin'; Ariana Grande

-

The same way as the vase being knocked over by a clumsy child shatters Mitch's heart, while he was standing by the bedroom door and listening to his girlfriend's muffled sobs. Even though he knows he is not responsible for her tears, he can't help but feel bad. He took an earlier flight home from his latest Formula E race to surprise her. But his excitement died as soon as he caught her grieving her deceased ex-boyfriend.

He was Y/N's first love, her first everything. They were together for three years and Y/N really thought that he is the one she is going to spend the rest of her life with, her true soulmate. Despite not being together for eternity, they were already imagining what their future life would look like. What type of house they should buy, how many kids would run around and if a golden retriever is an ideal family dog.

But as it's normal in life, no relationship has a journey without thorns. Y/N and her then-boyfriend always managed to kiss and make up after every argument they had to go through. But they didn't get past the biggest test. His rekindled romance with drugs got in the way and as much as Y/N was trying to help him return back so being sober, it was bigger than both of them. There was no other option than part their ways, have some time away. Nevertheless, Y/N never stopped believing that he would get well soon and one day, they would get back together.

All her dreams and hopes broke down when her ex-boyfriend got involved in a fatal motorcycle accident. Y/N felt the whole world collapsing right in front of her, it was like half of her just went numb and died. Even though he caused her a lot of pain, she loved him dearly. She got through all the stages of grief, she cried so much that she had no tears left to cry. She was seeing a therapist to learn breathing again. She used all different types of coping to get over her loss. Her favourite one she named lavender envelopes. Through them, she met her current boyfriend, Mitch.

Every month, she wrote a letter and sent it in an envelope that had the colour of a lavender field to a house where her ex-boyfriend used to live. She knew that he was never going to read it but it was a way to let out how she was feeling. And the house was vacant so she didn't have to worry about some stranger reading her intimate confessions.

What she didn't expect, however, was to get an answer to one of her letters. A young racing driver from New Zealand bought the house and found one of the lavender envelopes in the mailbox. Curiosity got the best of him, and he read the letter as well as wrote an answer. Y/N was caught off guard but played along, it felt good to be listened to. After a few more letters, Mitch picked up his guts to ask Y/N out. She was nervous to meet up with someone, who knows her so deeply and all she knows about him is his handwriting.

All the worries were unnecessary as she and Mitch clicked from the first moment. They had some things in common, and Y/N couldn't deny the attraction she was feeling. They were hanging out a lot, which led Y/N to a bad idea: having a no strings attached relationship with him. He was supposed to just numb the pain, help her forget him. She wanted to feel other lips on hers to erase the taste of him, she wanted a different set of fingerprints printed all over her body. It was supposed to be just a love me, thank you, leave me situation.

But their first kiss already told her that this won't work. There were already emotions that weren't supposed to be there. Even though she didn't want him to be a part of her bloodline, he was already in her veins. She wasn't sure that her heart was healed enough to let someone in, love seemed off the table for her. Until she met someone who is made of boyfriend material and makes her believe in better days.

The door opened to reveal Y/N in a night robe, her appearance giving a clear indication that she was indeed not saving her tears for another day. Despite puffy eyes and salty cheeks, Mitch was in awe of how beautiful she is. He briefly remembered the day they went for an evening picnic. The moonlight was illuminating her face, and that was the moment Mitch fell madly and truly in love with Y/N.

"Hi, love," he peeped with a smile, as she was staring at him with big eyes.

"Hi-hi," she stammered out and walked to him to wrap her arms around him, "I didn't expect you to come so early."

"I took an earlier flight to surprise you," Mitch muttered into her long hair, as he was holding her close, "have you been crying over him again?"

"It's already a little ritual of mine, isn't it?" She said with a fake smile, when she broke apart from Mitch, "but to answer your question, yes. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise," he hummed and caressed her cheek gently, getting some salt on his fingers, "I understand you." If it was anybody else, the relationship wouldn't last a week. But Mitch has been so understanding and sweet that Y/N sometimes wonders what he sees in her. She would pay to see herself from his point of view to understand why he decided to step into the emotional rollercoaster that she is.

"But I know that it breaks your heart when I cry over him every single day. I'm just putting you through much more than you deserve. You deserve better than me."

"Don't say that," he interrupted her and reached out for her hands, "I chose to go through this with you. We'll get past this," he wanted to hide her hands in his, when he noticed Y/N holding something. He gave her a quizzical look and Y/N revealed a lavender envelope. The one that brought them together.

"I just needed to do it one last time, to try to give myself closure. It's ridiculous how one can get stuck in your head for so long," she shrugged while looking down at the envelope.

"You will always remember him, because he was a significant part of you, he was really important to you. You don't have to leave him behind just because you are with someone else. You can carry him in your heart as long as you accept the reality. The light is coming, Y/N, I know it. One day, you'll be at peace with everything. And I will be standing right next to you," Mitch gently squeezed Y/N's shoulder and earned a soft genuine smile from his girlfriend.

"You are such a sweetener, Mitch. I love you," his head snapped back at those three words Y/N said to him for the first time. He never pressured her into saying it, he wanted her to be 100% sure and ready to love someone else.

"I love you too," he leaned to give her a quick peck on the lips. A simple thing that filled him with a warm feeling. Despite this lovely moment between the couple, Mitch could sense that Y/N is still tense, "is there anything else that is bothering you, angel?" he asked softly, and Y/N looked up at him.

"What makes you think that there is something else?" Y/N cocked her head to the side.

"I don't know, you seem tense," Mitch shrugged while looking Y/N in the eye.

"You know me as well as NASA knows the Universe," Y/N chuckled, whilst Mitch giggled at her joke, "you know that you are my everything, right? And that I was waiting for someone like you," this time, she was the one reaching out for his hands, "it's just...I have the ability to love too much and when I lose that person I get attached to, it can hurt a lot."

"Are you afraid to lose me?"

"I lost Patrick in a motorcycle accident, you drive fast cars for a living. And even though they sound like a vacuum cleaner, they are bloody fast. So yes, I'm scared to lose you. Because I need you Mitch and I can't be without you." Mitch could feel butterflies in his stomach, he has been waiting for this for months. To see the love of his life blossom like a rose.

"Come here," he opened his embrace for Y/N to disappear there, "no matter what happens, I will always be there with you, I will never leave your side. Remember that. And stop bothering with what-ifs. Let's cherish the present, what we have now."