Nonsense Christmas, pars 1 - Clement Novalak

Inspired by: A Nonsense Christmas - Sabrina Carpenter

-

"I know what we should do next!" Y/N's sister, S/N, exclaimed in the middle of the Love Actually home screening, leaping from the couch. The sudden movement almost caused the drop of eggnog to stain her Christmas jumper with Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer on it.

"For the last time, I'm not going to any of the so-called Christmas parties," Y/N muttered, her sister's sudden enthusiasm doing nothing to her. Instead, she muffled herself more in a white fluffy blanket with celeste-blue snowflakes on it, her mind flickering between an empty glass of hers and the idea of an eggnog bottle in the refrigerator. They'd already had enough spiked eggnog in their system to barely keep the last fragments of their sanity together, but it was pre-Christmas time. They already caught the holiday glee, the feeling of peace and goodwill creeping upon their skins like frost. At this time of the year, everything was allowed.

"No, no, n-no," S/N said, her tongue stumbling over the last syllable a bit, the amount of alcohol weakening her vocal agility, "we are not going anywhere. But we are going to have oh so much fun," her stream of thoughts got interrupted by a loud ping coming from the kitchen, "oh! I almost forgot about the cookies," she giggled sheepishly before sprinting to the kitchen. On her way there, she grabbed Y/N's empty glass, making a decision for her sister, "it would be a great shame to burn them since we used all the supplies for it," Y/N didn't answer, shifting her attention to the screen only to find out she completely lost a thread. With a grunt escaping her lips, Y/N glanced out of the window.

The streets were illuminated by vibrant LED lights, guiding people bundled up in their mittens and coat wherever their final destination was. A massive Christmas tree on the square was sending bright signals to all cardinal sides. It reminded Y/N that the apartment was too hollow and empty. Yes, there was a majestic wreath hung on the front door and so many candles scattered around that it would be enough to open a store. Yet it didn't feel Christmassy enough. A well-built fir tree as a beacon of serenity and falsely sung carols was the final touch, the cherry on top. Then the halls would be finally properly decked.

A humming in the melody of Jingle Bells was heard from the kitchen, yet Y/N kept studying the outside surroundings. A few white spots here and there were a reminder of icy blankets covering the town from head to toe just a few days ago. Some balconies were organising private light shows, the bulbs carrying all the colours one could possibly think of cheekily pulsating, alluring curious spectators to come closer.

The Christmas atmosphere was in the air, the same way as the smell of gingerbread freshly taken from the oven, the prevailing scent in Y/N's humble dwelling, "with a great joy deep in my heart," Y/N turned her head upon hearing her sister's sing-like voice approaching her. Y/N took a second to admire her waitress skills while she was balancing a tray full of gingerbread cookies and two glasses of eggnog. When she placed it all on the table, she continued, "I hereby announce the return of the 'Message roulette'! Please, give it a round of applause!" S/N obeyed her own order, clapping her hands enthusiastically

Message roulette was born on the same day a year ago. It wasn't eggnog that played the main character but way too many glasses of Baileys. The rules are simple. You spin a bottle five times. At whom it lands the most, is forced to prank text a person the winner chooses. A perfect game for nights like this, when the beverages just flow, and nothing makes sense anymore, "you had a whole year to come up with a better name."

"But I like the name," S/N plopped on the couch next to her sister, the empty bottle in her hands, "simple and straight to the point," she handed it to Y/N with pleading eyes, "are you ready to gamble?" Y/N gently pushed the bottle away, she still remembered how disastrous the inaugural year was, "ah, come oh, don't be a Grinch!"