Chapter 17

Damyan's p.o.v

"Focus." George slapped my back. "I'm telling a story here."

I was sitting in the schoolyard, with my baseball team during lunchtime, per usual. Ever since I had joined the team I had been dragged to every hang out they did and neither I nor Paul couldn't escape the poor stories George liked telling.

"I'm listening." I replied with a glare and when he continued telling a story I glanced aside again.

For some reason, I couldn't stop checking if Russo was going to pass by per usual.

"And then I.." George continued with this boring story, but suddenly at the side of my eyes, I could see someone passing by. I turned my head again.

There she was. Finally!

She was being careful not to step into the snow while laughing at something Shay said.

"Now it all makes sense." George put a hand around my shoulder looking at Russo and Shay.

"Ohooo." The rest of the team started whistling and teasing after realizing I was looking at the girls.

"So the rumors about you and Russo are true." George smiled.

I nudged his hand off. "Is this who we are now? Gossiping instead of focusing on practice?

"So now you want to talk about practice." One of the other teammates laughed.

I glanced at Paul to help me out here, but he was snacking on some peanuts enjoying his life.

He grinned completely entertained and added to the ooohs. "They even went on a date."

That traitor.

"It's better to date now, so he is more focused this summer. You know get those early relationship jitters out of the way. Once the game season starts and we aim for nationals he should be focused on that. " Kosta, who we considered captain said it in such a philosophical way, it opened up a debate between the others about if dating now or later is better.

While the others were debating, George leaned over whispering. "So like..does she have any single friends?"

This was getting annoying now.

I glanced back at Russo again. This time Luca had joined them and they were all laughing about something.

This happened even back at my house. It was like those three were in their own world and it was hard to break into the circle. They talked about things I couldn't get and they seemed to switch the subject if I was paying attention.

It bothered me to the point that I got angry on Saturday when she didn't text me when she got home. She didn't text me at all this weekend.

"Hey." I yelled distracting everyone from their chatting. "Jokes aside, we are aiming for nationals and I'm not planning on being on a second-rate team. It's either win or nothing. We keep practicing and once the weather gets warmer we'll focus on outdoor training. I'll pitch for my life until we get that trophy."

"Well said." George smiled.

"Maybe he's trying to impress someone," Paul said grinning. He opened a bag of chips now.

I pointed my finger at him. "You're getting on my nerve."

"Pfft-" He laughed.

"I'm calling George next time for the study group."

"Hey." Paul gave me a glare. "Not cool."

"Oh now you wanna be friends."

"Now, now." George laughed. "You guys make the perfect battery. Let's not ruin that."