¹²-. 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

"When'd you get here?" Peeta asked when he found Zoya in the bakery, hugging her tightly

"Not too long ago, I visited Katniss first." she said back, hands pressing into his shoulders as they hugged. Neither wanted to let go. It had been months since they'd seen each other last, both seemingly changing as the days passed without the other. How long would it be until they could hug again? Until they didn't have to write secret letters that never got to truly express what they'd been feeling to the other. "Your recipe was terrible, by the way. I can't make strawberry tarts."

They'd pulled back after that, a cheeky grin across his face. "You probably forgot something."

"Too much salt, I think." Zoya grinned. She liked that they stood on the same height, it was easy for her to see him completely. With Finnick, looking up was difficult to see the exact look in his eye, specifically the one they'd both hold on their way home from the capital together. With Peeta, he was right there, just right infront of her were she couldn't see every change and every flash of emotion in his eyes.

"I was just pulled some bread out." Peeta pulled her by the arm. The bakery wasn't loud, it was rather quiet. Zoya thought about all the terrible stories Katniss had told her about Peeta mother, and how she should stay alert.

"Is no one here?" Zoya spoke, passing through the door toward the large, clearly new, stoves.

"Only my father, he doesn't talk much though." Peeta spoke, hinting at why it had been so quiet. The ovens smelt of bread, not burnt, but crisp, while the rest of the bakery smelt of vanilla and sugar. Peeta stood infront of a wooden table, the loaf of bread laid on top with edible, possible other bakery designed, flowers baked along the top.

"You did it all by yourself?" Zoya smiled, pressing into his side. Peeta nodded, leaning onto her some as the side of his head pressed into hers.

"For Haymitch." Peeta said honestly, the warmth of the loaf still radiating off of it. "Before the interview."

Zoya turned to him. "Do you think you're prepared?"

"No." Peeta said honestly. "Katniss and I haven't said so much as three words to each other since the train."

Zoya hated that they weren't close. After her games, all she wanted was to be around people that went through the same thing she had. Even now, she literally lived with Roz and saw Finnick at least once a week. Zoya knew their situation was so much different, so much more painful and complicated. But deep down, she knew the other would heal better with the other close.

"You're gonna do great." Zoya promised Peeta, pushing through his team that were doing last minute touch ups to him.

"You've said that fifty times. Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" Peeta gave her a half grin, letting her brush off his shoulders and pop a mint into his mouth. Her fingers brushed his lips when she retreated her hand before taking a nod of confirmation. "Capital ready?"