Chapter sixteen

"Would you go to prom with me?" His eyes were hopeful, he was looking at me, hoping I would say yes. I would have never thought that he liked me, maybe all those research questions were his way to get closer to me? I always wondered why I was the only one he asked them to. But I thought it was my chance to get back at Chris for being a such a jerk. So I said

"Of course, I'd love to" He tried to look cool about it, like he knew I would have said yes, but I saw he was relieved

"Amazing, I'll pick you up at seven, Friday?"

"Sure" I said and winked at him "don't be late" and walked away. Event though I came to the library to study. It would've been awkward to be with him there, so I just roamed the school and looked for something to do, half hoping I would find a reason why he suddenly didn't like me anymore, but failing miserably. Not that I couldn't believe he didn't like me, but shy he had all of a sudden changed his perspective, he confused me more than math, and that was saying something.

I thought that maybe he would realize what a jerk he had been and apologize, or maybe even ask me to prom, but it was a very slim chance. I was still hoping for a chance to tell him that someone had actually asked me to prom, he just wouldn't believe it. Someone really liked me? Oh my god, such a revelation! Part of me hoped he would react like that, surprised that someone had asked me, but part of me also wished he acted okay, because that showed that he knew people liked me, because he liked me? What was I thinking, I didn't even understand myself. Let alone him.

-Chris-

Prom was getting closer, I wanted to go with her but I doubt she'd want to go with me after what I said to her. I needed to explain it to her, why I had been so cold and mean, it was a weird way to show it but it meant that I was scared, I said it before, she made me feel this way... no one had ever made me feel that way before. I should tell her, maybe she will think it was cute? Me liking her? Was she thinking about it too? She confused me, she made me doubt, in a way that I had never known, and I thought I was complicated...

-Emma-

While I was busy thinking of a way to tell him dramatically that I had a date, it dawned on me that he would give a crap wether I had a date or not, being the jerk that he was, so maybe this was my way of knowing for sure what was happening between us. See if he cared.

"Smith, I need to talk to you" a voice whispered behind me, close to my ear. It was not 7:00 am anymore we were already in the 4th period, which meant lunch break was next.

"Oh! Just the jerk I wanted to see! Oh you should just quickly walk away real quick, or someone might see us and we don't want that now do we. What an embarrassment it would be for your majesty" I made a pouty face and turned around, he grabbed my arm and basically dragged me out of English class.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you abo-"

"Oh! You wanted to talk about what a jerk you are? Oh wow! That is unexpected, well see, where to start! Oh dear if I start I may never stop!"

"You don't understand"

"Oh well then I guess I'm dumb am I? See ya later" I said and put two fingers to my forehead like I was saluting him.

"Emma wait!" He ran after me but I turned a corned and ran away from school, only stopping at a playground swing to cry.
(I had brought my car there earlier in an attempt to spend the half hour I had before school. So it was parked there.)
He just made me mad, but I still wanted to hear him out, because I wanted an excuse to be with him. Why did I want an excuse to forgive the jerk?! Why do you make me feel like this Christopher Walker? Look what you do to me.