Chapter twenty-two

I quickly turned around and ran back to her room to find her looking at me, I saw her beautiful eyes and her gorgeous smile for the first time in weeks.

"Emma!" I held her hand and started crying, but this time they were happy tears, she had finally answered, she had finally woken up. The girl I loved had woken up after being in a seven week coma.

"Emma baby you're awake! I love you so much Emma. I have missed you" I could never describe the happiness I felt in that moment, everything was back to how it was supposed to be. I stared at her and saw that she was still dazed and taking everything in, it was as if she had been in an operation and the anestesia was slowly wearing off.

"Chris" that was all she said, she said it weakly and in a low voice. With all the shock of her waking up I had forgotten to call her parents and the nurse and tell them that she was awake. I immediately grabbed my phone and called her parents

"Mrs. Smit?" I said when she answered my call

"Yes?" It only said two words, that was all it took, and then she started crying and calling for her husband to come

"She's awake" Next thing I did was ask for Susan, and when I found her I told her the news, she came running to the hospital room and said hi to Emma. Even though she had no idea who she was I later explained to her that she was the person who had taken care of her while she was asleep, but that of course went along with the whole "you were in a coma for seven weeks" conversation.

Soon after I called their parents there were a lot of people in her room crying tears of happiness and thanking God that she had woken up, even though I had only called her parents, there were a lot more people in the room than just them, maybe friends of her or friend of the parents, or cousins or something, but the room was completely full. So I decided to wait outside for a minute until things calmed down, it was hard to hear their voices inside exited and saying that she was so brave and that it was a miracle and things like that. Especially hearing her voice, and I imagined her smile again, I was so impatient to see her but everything I needed to tell her I would tell only to her, not everyone in that room. So, even if I was the person who was more happy than anyone in that room that she had woken up, I waited. About fifteen minutes passed -the longest fifteen minutes of my life may I add- when I saw Mrs. Smith coming out the door,

"Chris" she told me, her eyes were red and still watery from crying, and she spoke softly.

"Mrs. Smith! Everything okay?"

"Yes Chris, she is asking for you" she said, I walked into the room abs heard her calling for me.

"Hey I'm here, Smith" I said "I'm here"

"Chris!" She said and she pulled me to her and hugged me. I hugged her back tightly and closed my eyes. "Can we have a second please?" She asked, to which everyone left and we were alone.

"Hey are you okay?" I asked her

"How long was I asleep?"

"Seven weeks"

"Wow. Did I miss much?"

"Not that I am aware of, all the time that you were gone I couldn't live with myself, I knew that if I had saved you then you would be with me on that moment" I still felt that guilt, but she was awake now and she was finally in my arms again. "I distanced myself from everyone and I just hated everything and everyone and I hated God for taking you away like that, and I blamed the world so that I wouldn't have to admit that it was my fault. But it was, and I came here everyday hoping that you would answer me but you never did. Until today." I was starting to cry now, and she looked at me with her caring eyes and I knew that I loved her, more than I thought I was capable of loving.

"Hey look at me" she turned my head towards her "It wasn't your fault, I was distracted and it was my fault for not looking before crossing. I love you, I love you Chris okay? And the only thing that scared me was that I wouldn't be able to tell you that" she had started to cry too, and I looked at her and smiled.