Chapter 5 - Wedding

After all the rituals are done, Kalindi had returned to her chamber to have a good night's rest for the marriage next day.  Just before going to bed, she instructed Rekha, "Rekha, it seems like the time has come for testing the new herb which you brought last week".  Both her maids shared a knowing look and went on to proceed with the assigned work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, there was hustle bustle in the entire Hridaypura palace as there was only a few hours left for the marriage of their Princess and the crown Prince of Rakshatra.  Kalindi and Abhyuday were getting ready in their own chambers with the help of servants and also their friends, while in case of Kalindi both servants and friends are the same people.  Kalindi wore a silk saree instead of skirt and dress, since she will become a married woman now.  Soon the time for marriage ceremony came and Pandit ji (Priest) asked for the groom to come first, following which Yuvraj Abhyuday came to the marriage hall.  The Pandit was chanting some holy mantras and then asked for the bride to come to the ceremony hall.  Before Kalindi could enter the hall, the sound of anklet bells were resonating throughout the hall which made everyone turn their head towards the entrance.  And then the bride came inside the hall with gold jewellery adorning from her head to her waist and her long braid decorated with Jasmine flowers along with jewellery. Among all her heavy jewellery, it was her waistband with dangling bells at the connecting part, which got Yuvraj Abhyuday's attention.  He stared at her waist for a few seconds before turning his attention back towards the holy fire in front of him, all the while without a change in his facial expression. But what he might have thought in his mind, only he could tell.

Kalindi took her seat beside her groom and the Pandit continued with his chants.  Then the Pandit called upon the parents of both bride and groom for exchange of some gifts to symbolize their agreement with the marriage. Suddenly Yuvraj Abhyuday interrupted saying, "My mother is no more in this world pandit ji. Suggest some other options".  Hearing his words, his stepmother Oormila heaved a sigh of relief as she was hesitating to involve in his matters and at the same time, didn't know how to avoid it infront of all the guests.  Then Pandit ji asked only his father to do the ritual. Next Kalindi's right hand was placed on Abhyuday's hand to symbolise their union and both of them didn't react even the slightest. Finally the marriage was completed with him tying the Mangalsutra around her neck and filling sindoor on her hair partition. Both took the blessings of Pandit ji and then her parents. When they came infront of his father, both bent down to touch his feet and got blessings from King Virendra. Virendra was elated to see his son getting married and on top of that he came to get his blessings which won't happen usually if they were in Rakshatra. Kalindi turned and looked at Queen Oormila, contemplating whether to take her blessings or not, as she had heard Abhyuday's answer to Pandit ji when the latter had called for parents.  Looking at Kalindi's sight on herself, Oormila gulped inaudibly as she could see Yuvraj Abhyuday clenching his fists. Before anyone could say anything, King Virendra said, "Let's move to the dining hall for the wedding feast. Everyone should enjoy the wedding day of the Crown Prince of Rakshatra".  Soon everyone followed him out leaving Oormila and her son Kaushal, who as usual vented out their anger by cursing Abhyuday and went to join the others.

After the lunch, the guests left one by one and only the royal family members remained. In the inner hall of the Palace, both the kings and their family members were simply chit chatting while the newly married couple sat together in a couch silently without uttering a single word to each other.  Suddenly King Virendra asked, "Udayan, where is your second wife and daughter. I haven't seen them even during the wedding ceremony but couldn't point it out as we were immersed in the marriage rituals. Now also they are not here when all the other family members are present. What happened?". King Udayan sighed and said with a stressed look on his face, "Actually Virendra, there is a problem".  Before King Udayan could complete, a maid came and informed him that Vaidh ji (Physician) was calling him. Sensing the seriousness of the issue as the Vaidh ji was involved, everyone followed King Udayan to the chambers of Princess Uttara.  And the last people to follow was the newly married couple, who were not at all interested in the issue or any drama that is to follow.  Parth turned back to look at his friend and bhabhi (sister-in-law) and went near them and walked along with them by Abhyuday's side.  "Pranam (Greetings) Bhabhi.  I'm Parth, best friend of Yuvraj Abhyuday". Abhyuday looked at his friend who was too loud near his ear as he wanted to be heard by his wife on the other side. Kalindi smiled at him genuinely and greeted him, "Pranam bhai (Brother)". Parth grinned at her and said, "Bhabhi, If at all you need help to condemn or warn your husband then you can call for me. As I'm the only one whom he atleast listens to".  Abhyuday gave a look to his friend and immediately Parth said, "I mean I will request him on your behalf. That's what I wanted to say". Kalindi just smiled at their bond.

Soon the three of them reached Uttara's chamber and could see King Udayan talking with Vaidh ji outside the bedroom of the chamber.  They heard Vaidh ji telling King Udayan, "No Raja ji. I really can't help right now. I have to research and get to know the source of the issue. And I have already checked the remaining food from yesterday and also the dress she wore but there is nothing wrong in them".  Seeing their distressed face, Kalindi asked, "What happened Father? Anything serious?".  King Udayan replied with a helpless smile as he felt guilty for not giving a joyous wedding day for his daughter, "It's just that Princess Uttara has some health issues which lead to her losing her voice. And now slowly her hearing is also going down. We don't know what is the source of this problem since we cannot treat her without knowing the source".  Kalindi simply nodded at her father with a neutral face while King Virendra asked looking at his friend's distressed face, "Do you think it's a conspiracy, Udayan ?". King Udayan sighed and said, "I do suspect it but at the same time there is no evidence that it is a planned act. And moreover, who would target Princess Uttara? She doesn't have any enemity with others as she is within the Palace only. So I couldn't guess much but Yuvraj Pratham has started investigating the matter. Let's hope for good results".  Though he said it in a calm voice, the worry for his daughter's recovery was visible on his face. King Virendra patted his back to show his support.

Kalindi said, "Father, shall I go and see my sister once?".  King Udayan nodded and allowed her to go.  Kalindi went inside the bedroom and Abhyuday just shook his head lightly at the woman, who cares for the sister that wants to snatch her own husband. Seeing Kalindi entering the room, Queen Mathura took the crying mother of Princess Uttara outside to get her some food, leaving Vedika, Kalindi's another step sister beside Uttara for her support along with the maids. Vedika looked at Kalindi for a few seconds and then turned to take a look at Uttara once again. Uttara's eyes were having angry tears as she was vulnerable in front of Kalindi, right now. Kalindi gave a pitiful look to her and said to Vedika, "How can this happen all of a sudden? Just Last evening, She was talking to me with so much enthusiasm about her future plans and even I dreamt of a happy life with my own sister as a co-wife. But now, not sure if that dream will ever become a reality".  Shocked by her words and then on seeing Kalindi's mock sympathetic face, Vedika realized what is the situation and who had done this. Afterall Vedika doesn't cross paths with Kalindi, not because she considers her as sister but because she knows the consequences of crossing her path.

Uttara fumed in anger at Kalindi's words and angry tears flowed from her eyes as she couldn't even express her anger through words and moreover, she could hear Kalindi's words because the latter is standing nearby the bed. Kalindi left the room saying, "Take care, Sister".  Vedika just thought about the time when her hair turned white a few years back and it didn't turn back to normal colour until she realised that it was Kalindi and then apologized to her.  The apology was on compulsion because no one believed her words when she accused Kalindi as there was no evidence.  Vedika shook her head literally to come out of those nightmare days.  Vedika pitied Uttara as she will not be cured unless until she apologizes to Kalindi.

Kalindi came out of the chamber and Queen Mathura was already waiting along with others after sending Uttara's mother to rest.  Abhyuday was no where in sight and Kalindi was confused as to where she should go.  Queen Mathura took Kalindi's arms and lead her to somewhere as the King nodded.  Kalindi was taken to the Queen's chamber and she was given new saree and jewels to change into. Kalindi had an idea about what it was about but still looked at her mother for clarification.  Queen Mathura smiled and said, "Today is going to be your wedding night. So you change into this dress. You can rest now as it is only evening and later at night, you will be sent to your chamber where Yuvraj Abhyuday is residing now".  Kalindi nodded at her and then the Queen left.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Let's see how their equations change after marriage.

And Kalindi is equally ruthless as Abhyuday it seems. What do you think?

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.