Chapter 16 - Plot

While he was thinking about his plan of giving her a mark visible to others, his subconscious mind asked, "Was it really just a trick, Abhyuday?  Are you sure, you were totally in your control last night?  Because as far as I can see, giving a mark on her neck could be done in some other way as well.  Not to forget, your good night sleep".  Abhyuday disregarded the voice and distracted himself with his work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kalindi angrily came to her chamber after finishing her strolling in the garden.  Even Gopi, Lekha and Rekha were trying to control their laughter which just increased her frustrations and anger.  She shouted, "All of you go out".  All three of them left leaving Kalindi alone.  Kalindi didn't check herself in the mirror while getting ready in the morning as it is her trusted maids who get her ready.  And today those trusted maids broke her trust.  They didn't tell her that the hickey was very much visible, which she thought of as a lighter one.  Now wherever she went the maids would be giggling and gossiping among themselves while subtly looking at her.

Now that she is alone in her room, Kalindi started to talk to herself, "Why my husband has to be the most confusing person in the world?  One day he would behave like a caring husband and then for the next few days, I wouldn't even know his whereabouts.  The one time he comes, he has to do this".  She looked at the mirror and examined the hickey which she didn't think to be this dark.  She wanted to shout loudly and curse that occasional husband of hers.  She removed the heavy jewellery from neck and laid down on the bed unceremoniously.  She asked a question to herself, "Why didn't you stop him, Kalindi?".  After sometime, she herself answered it, "Because he is my husband. As long as he doesn't give me the feeling of disgust with his touch, he will have all the rights as my husband".  She sat up on the bed and said, "I have to distract myself.  And stop reminiscing the same thing again and again".  Saying so, she went to her balcony and looked at the vast forest, then at the shastrasala before the compound walls.  And a particular scene caught her attention.  There was a girl in maids uniform standing near the gate of shastrasala but not going in.  She will look into the shastrasala often but won't go in.  Kalindi clapped her hands and the three personal maids came in, and reached the balcony.  Kalindi asked while pointing at the girl near the entrance, "Isn't she the substitute maid for cleaning my chamber?".  Lekha nodded and answered a yes. 

Then all of them watched the incident as it happened.  The girl suddenly went in as soon as she saw that Yuvraj was coming out.  With refreshments in her hand, she went and acted as if she got slipped and she fell on Yuvraj.  The three maids who were watching the scene gasped while Kalindi's face didn't have any change of expression, her hands tightened on the balcony railings.  When the maid fell on him, Yuvraj immediately took a step aside which made her fall face first on to the ground.  But the refreshments stained Yuvraj's clothes but that was the least of his concern now.  Parth immediately asked the maid to get up and said, "Be careful!  This kind of carelessness is not something encouraged here".  She nodded while crying due to the pain and mud on her face and went away after taking the fallen utensils.  Yuvraj kept standing there while looking at her retreating figure.  Then Kalindi noticed that he called out the man on his left side, whose name she came to know as Bharath, since he is the trusted guard of Yuvraj and looks after his assigned tasks.  Yuvraj told something to Bharath and then he went away.  Kalindi went inside her chamber and others followed her.  The maids didn't dare to open their mouths and say something that would worsen their Yuvrani's mood.  After Dinner, Abhyuday poured some wine as he felt like drinking and took the glass and sat on his bed.

When he lifted the glass to drink, he stopped it near his mouth for a few seconds before drinking it.  After finishing it, he poured some more and drank. He kept on drinking until the jar was finished and then he stood up to change his dress to sleep.  But immediately he staggered in his steps and suddenly a delicate hand held his arm to help him.  Abhyuday looked at the person only to find that his guess was right, it was the same maid who tried to fall over him today.  She slowly pulled him to make him sit upon the bed.  Then she sat beside him and removed his jewellery on the upper body while he was simply murmuring something incoherent and then proceeded to remove his upper cloth as well.   When she pushed his shoulder backwards to make him lay down, he caught her hand which made her shy thinking that he is attracted to her.  But suddenly his grip on her hand became hard.  Hard enough to break her bones.  She screamed and stood up from the bed, still trying to release her hand from his grip.  He stood up as well, with her hands in his steel grip and leaned towards her ears and said, "You should have used aphrodisiac of much higher quality.  The one you have mixed in the jar of wine is only medium quality".  Saying that he left her hands, following which she immediately knelt on the ground and pleaded for mercy.  But he disregarded her request and said, "Go and tell my message to the one who sent you here.  'Her ways have become too old-fashioned and will not work on me'.  Don't forget to say this".  Then he motioned her to leave with a flick of his hands.  After she went away, Abhyuday decided to take a bath and immediately went to the bathing room without even ordering anyone to prepare hot water.

The next day Parth and Abhyuday were having a discussion in the study along with Bharath.   Parth asked, "So the accident which happened in the shastrasala was not really an accident?  Oh God".  Abhyuday started at him for a moment and asked, "Why are you over reacting now?".  Parth replied, "Yuvraj!  Why is your step mother so interested in your bedroom activities?".  Parth made a yuck face and Abhyuday sighed and then said, "May be she is afraid that Rakshatra will get it's next heir through me".  Parth took sometime to understand what his friend was implying and then said, "You mean, she is afraid that you and Bhabhi will have a baby soon.  Why don't you say it directly?".  Abhyuday said irritated, "It is above my knowledge as to how you are able to command so many people and get the work done.  I can't even find anyone else as capable as you to command in my absence".  Parth made a face and said, "These inner palace matters are too difficult for innocent people like me.  It is easier to run with 2 loads on my back than understanding your cruel step mother".  He then turned to Bharath and said, "Why are you still standing here like a pillar and listening to my insult?  Your report is given right then go away".  Bharath went away from there silently after Yuvraj nodded his head.  Seeing Abhyuday sitting on the couch with a tired look on his face, Parth said in a serious tone, "Why are you so stressed Yuvraj? It's good that you were ruthlessly trained by our Gurudev (teacher) to control your body on contact with such Aphrodisiacs.  You have tortured your body to the extreme that even the highest quality and quantity can affect you only a little.  Otherwise yesterday you would have succumbed to the ploy".  Abhyuday nodded and said, "Yes, I was able to smell it even before I could drink.  I just wanted to give hope to the culprit and then catch them red-handed".    Parth asked confusedly, "I don't understand how that woman would have planted those aphrodisiac in your bed chamber.  You don't even keep any maids in your chamber.   Only our trusted maids will clean your chamber once a week or so. Then how come she entered here?".  Abhyuday said in a dangerous tome, "With the help of that so-called Queen, she distracted my guards and entered here before me".  Abhyuday really felt angry on himself that he let his wife be around such people in the name of maids even after his efforts to keep her safe.

Parth commented, "It's good that Bhabhi doesn't know about this incident.  Otherwise she would feel hurt".  Abhyuday remembered what happened last night in the bathroom and said monotonously, "She knows".  Parth seemed shocked as well as concerned for Kalindi as she had to witness all these dirty tricks within a month of their marriage.  Just then Abhyuday clarified, "I mean she knows about the incident happened at the shastrasala.  Not the one in my bedroom chamber".  Parth sighed but Abhyuday couldn't say whether it was in relief or exasperation.  Parth took his leave from the study.  Abhyuday looked at the report of Bharath and decided to go through it, afterall he has to decide the punishment for the maid who dared to enter his chamber and tried to seduce him.

Later that day, a guard informed Yuvraj that Maharaj has called for him.

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

One hot chapter and the truth revelation is coming soon.  So stay tuned.

Thanks,
SM.