Chapter 46 - Shocker

Oormila filled him upon the latest news and said, "Just now I got to know that Maharaj has called upon the Royal court urgently. I have an intuition that he would talk about Abhyuday's coronation. We have to make our move now. Otherwise we may never get a chance".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Maharaj told Yuvraj about his role as the King and also the added responsibility which had been passed on through generations. A guard informed them that the Royal court has assembled and Abhyuday helped Maharaj to move towards the court after properly wrapping a shawl around him. It was already evening by the time the court was assembled and Maharaj virendra sat on the throne.

Virendra said, "You people might be confused as to why I have called for the sudden assembly today. The reason is that my health is not cooperating now. So I thought it's better to hand over the power to Yuvraj Abhyuday. I hope no one has any objection towards my decision". The court was in utter silence when suddenly a voice echoed, "I have an objection".

Everyone turned towards Kaushal who objected the King's decision. He continued, "I have an equal claim on the throne. So I will not accept your biased decision to place him on the throne". Virendra said with anger, "You never had an equal claim in the first place. Rakshatra has some inheritance rules specified since ages. As per those rules, the first born son will inherit the throne after his father. Unless he relinquishes his title, the next in line will not get the throne".

Oormila entered the court surprising everyone as Royal women usually don't appear in the court unless it is the balcony of the court. Maharaj Virendra frowned at her but she disregarded his questioning eyes and said with conviction, "My son has all the right to become the King. Yes he was not the first born and neither is the first born relinquished his title. Unfortunately we couldn't discard the obstacle for my son".

Maharaj Virendra was shocked at her tone of speech as he had always seen the soft-spoken and timid woman. He was too stunned to say anything while Abhyuday didn't interfere in their drama. Oormila continued, "The so called rules that you are talking about was made by a mere group of some people. And here, in this court we have another set of people who can change the rules. Don't you think Maharaj?". Virendra was not able to understand her meaning and said, "Without my approval, no one can change any rules, Mah-- Oormila". He stopped himself from calling her as Maharani as he can clearly see that she has lost the respect for that position.

Oormila laughed at him and said, "Oh! You are so wrong Maharaj! What if Maharaj is no more and Yuvraj was the murderer? What if Yuvraj hinself is dead? In these cases, Kaushal wouldn't have any problem ascending the throne right, Mahamantri (Prime Minister)?". She directed finally to the Prime minister who was sitting on the right side of the stairs to the throne. The minister gulped and said Yes.

Maharaj Virendra was beyond angry hearing her non sense and shouted, "Silence! You ungrateful woman. You are threatening the King and Yuvraj of this Kingdom, that too in the Royal court? How dare you think of such a thing? Biting off the hand that fed you?". Oormila laighed loudly at his words and said, "Hand that fed me? Really? I made that hand to feed me. You think that you had taken pity on me for getting me pregnant in your inebriated state. But what you didn't know was that it was my well-executed plan to come near you when you were drunk".

Everything was coming as a shock for Maharaj Virendra but he was not in a position to express anything as he was left speechless by her revelations. He kept quiet as he could see that many more shockers were awaiting him today. Oormila continued with a mocking smile, "Well, my tears always worked on you. Infact more than Chandria's tears".

Abhyuday fisted his hands and his face hardened for the first since the court started. Virendra looked ashamed as he thought of the times where he believed Oormila over Chandria. Oormila continued, "Poor Chandria, she knew that I had caused her miscarriage. But still her husband wouldn't believe her words about his second wife. What a misery! But I should be appreciated for acting so well infront of you right? You believed that everyone was targetting me for being a person of low birth".

Virendra was shocked to know that this cruel woman had killed his child and he was supporting her instead of consoling his wife who was already experiencing physical pain. He realised that he became the sole reason for killing Chandria mentally and painfully slow. He remembered how Chandria became broken and unstable after the first miscarriage. And how he argued about blaming Oormila.

Before he comes out of his shock, she further continued, "See, ultimately who won? That lady had to die for me to become the Queen of Rakshatra. It's just that it took me several years to do that, although initially I thought only about bringing my son as Yuvraj and never thought of myself as Maharani. Later I felt I deserved it so I used my final chance during time of her labor".

Virendra didn't mind being in the court and let his tears down and he couldn't even look up at Abhyuday because now he knows that his son's hatred is much more than what he thought it to be. Oormila continued, "The second time, she was careful enough to avoid miscarriage, so I couldn't do that. Ajd when you had to leave on the day prior to her delivery, I didn't think it will provide me a chance since there was still time for her delivery. But by god's grace, she got into labor the very next day and I utilised the chance by bribing the midwife. So the midwife killed the baby by pushing it wrongly and Chandria too died of blood loss as well as the pain of losing her child again".

Abhyuday wiped his tears as he didn't want to show his weakness to outsiders but all his pain which he had been bottling up for years have now been revived and this time none would be spared. Virendra couldn't even open his mouth to curse that evil woman standing infront of him because he, himself had acted as her weapon to kill Chandria.

All Virendra could do was wishing that it was him, who had lost their life rather than Chandria. He didn't respect her feelings when she was alive and was not able to come back to the palace to attend her funeral and those of his child. Bringing him out of his thoughts, Oormila laughed and said mockingly, "You know what? Your son knew about my deeds because he saw me giving the bribe to the midwife after the death of his mother. I thought he will tell you everything once you reach back to the palace. That's why I met you urgently before he could meet and cried infront of you as if I'm mourning for the loss. Since you already believed that chandria had brainwashed your son against me, you wouldn't believe his words anymore. But anyways, he didn't come to complain ever".

Virendra was striken with a strong sense of guilt and shame for how much of a dumb man he was. He could neither be a good husband nor a good father. Now he has the last chance at being a good King by transferring the power to Abhyuday. If he lost this chance, then he will also be in the list of worst kings, next to his father's name.

Oormila turned towards Yuvraj to have a look at him as if to find an answer to her long pending question of why he hadn't told anything to his father. But she couldn't find anything except his stoic face. Suddenly she felt a metal touching her neck, and froze on her place. Then she heard a voice, "You dare to Kill the Queen of this Kingdom and shamelessly admit it in front of the entire court. You dare not dream of leaving this court alive". It was the commander-in-chief of the army, who is Parth's father.

When the commander was about to cut off her head, he felt himself locked in the same position by Kaushal pointing his sword at him. Yuvraj signalled the commander to put down his sword and then Kaushal too put down his sword. Oormila moved forward and came near the stairs that reach the throne and said while looking at the King, "I don't need your approval to make my son as the King nor do I wait for anyone to move away from my path. Look at this Royal court Maharaj! Except your commander, everyone is on my side. They have already approved to make my son as their next king. And no one will open their mouth if the King and Yuvraj are dead, along with their commander, right here".

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Vaidh ji - Doctor
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.