Chapter 15 - Mark

On the other hand, Abhyuday got the weekly report from Gopi who mentioned about the latest changes in Kalindi's interaction with the Queen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Abhyuday stopped his work and pondered over the latest information he received and thought, "Seems like the advice did work on her.  On a second thought, how can a person change their personality within days of some mere words".  He recalled the day of Oormila's accident, and how he felt that Kalindi was actually happy on that day and there was a kind of satisfaction visible in her eyes.  Then he pondered over the new information and  thought to himself, "Unless it is a facade and they were deliberately hiding it on the surface so that no one else discovers their true self".  He dismissed Gopi to continue her work and then focused on his work again, keeping aside the doubts for now.

Gopi returned back to Kalindi's chamber and informed that Yuvraj had called her.   And nothing more was said but the other three ladies including Kalindi understood what was the reason for him to call her.  Kalindi didn't think anything bad about it as everything was happening infront of her without secrecy and the information was not used for any bad deeds against her.  Then the day went on.  The next day, Rupika came to Kalindi's chamber in the name of timepass as she felt bored with the older women.  Kalindi suggested to call for Niyati as well since she is also a young girl and would keep Rupika engaged but the latter denied saying, "No Yuvrani, Actually Niyati is taking her academic lessons.  Since my father and Maharaj Virendra has gone for sight seeing and hunting in the forest located far from the capital, they will comeback by tomorrow or the day after.  On the other hand, my mother and Maharani Oormila are talking about something or the other and here I'm bored without any work at all.  That's why I came to see whether you will be available for some casual talk or not.  Hope you don't mind?". 

Kalindi gave the same old formal smile and didn't deny her question.  They talked for sometime or it's like Rupika talking and Kalindi listening most of the time.  After sometime, Niyati came to the chamber and joined the other two people.  Soon after that Kalindi made an excuse to look after the garden and went away. She did ask the other two talkative girls to join her for the sake of formality and the replies she got were, "Not it's hot outside and I don't want to get sweaty", "I don't like flowers" and so on, which relieved her.  After Kalindi went out, Rupika asked Niyati, "Is your bhabhi always silent like this?".  Niyati thought for sometime and said, "I didn't notice it but she is like this only.  I mean I didn't find any difference in her behaviour".  Niyati couldn't understand as to where the question is coming from.  So she simply answered truthfully.  While the thought running in Rupika's mind is, "If she is of this silent nature then how was she able to keep Yuvraj to herself alone?  From the looks, she is just like any other average girl with nothing spectacular to be called a calamitous beauty.  Then what is stopping yuvraj from taking another wife?".  She didn't dare to say her thoughts aloud.

Now it was night time and Kalindi was ready to hit the bed and sleep and all the maids have retired to sleep in their chambers while only one will sleep outside the room, in the hall so that she could help whenever Yuvrani requires them.  Kalindi sat on the bed and was about to lay down when the bathroom door opened suddenly and her husband walked in.  She was surprised at his arrival and stood up immediately and greeted him.  She was looking at him to hear the reason for his untimely arrival.  But he simply removed his Upper cloth and kept it on the hanger.  Then he directly went to her bed and laid down.  She stood there dumbfoundedly as he just entered her room and occupied her half bed.  Thinking about her wedding night where they slept on the same bed, she too laid down on her side with her back facing him and closed her eyes to sleep.  Then remembering the way both of them woke up the next day after the wedding night, Kalindi opened her eyes again.  She turned back to see whether he is asleep or not, as she was unable to sleep. She saw that he was sleeping and turned on her back, now facing the ceiling.  But even after changing her position for a number of times, she was not able to sleep.   "When will you sleep?", Kalindi was startled with the voice and faced him, only to see that he is still in the same position with his eyes closed. 

She stammered and said, "I am just trying to sleep".  He opened his eyes and looked at her and then said, "Then let me help you sleep".  Before she could realise what he said, he pulled her by waist which was bare due to the saree fold being one sided.  She came upon him by his pull and looked at his eyes.  He looked into her eyes and moved some strands of hair that fell on her face, smoothly and ended up caressing her face.  Suddenly he asked in a whisper, "Why don't you let your hair flow down freely, even during the day time? Just like this".  Saying so, he caressed her hair strands. She replied still lying on him, "Married women should always tie their hair".  He didn't reply anything and studied her hair and then suddenly he flipped their position and came upon her.  Both looked into each others eyes, with unclear emotions and confusion.  Abhyuday leaned down and Kalindi closed her eyes as her breathing became heavy.  Then she felt a kiss on her neck, followed by a sharp bite in the same place and her eyes opened in shock.  He pulled back and looked at her.  Then he laid down beside her, in his old position facing the ceiling and after a few moments, Kalindi calmed down herself and turned her back to him so that she could sleep.  Later, she felt his hand wrapping around her waist and pulling her in a back hug and said, "Sleep".  Kalindi didn't know when she fell asleep, all the while feeling his thumb caressing the star mole in her waist.  She just wanted to sleep without thinking about anything. 

The next morning when Kalindi woke up, Abhyuday was not there in the bed but when she opened the bathroom door, she saw that he was inside the bathing pool.  So she immediately closed the door and came back to bed.  Hearing the door closing, Abhyuday had a slight smile in the corner of his lips, which seemed more of a smirk and continued his bath as he is late today.  Late for the first time ever, due to good sleep.  In Kalindi's chamber, Rekha and Lekha came to help her with the morning routine.   While dressing her up, both the girls noticed the love bite on her neck but didn't mention anything about it as they blushed among themselves.  As usual Kalindi met with the guests and Oormila together in the Queen's chamber.  Once Kalindi excused herself out, Maithili asked her daughter Rupika to go and rest in her chamber.  After she left, Maithili's face twisted in anger and said, "Seems like Maharani's  assumptions turned out to be false".    Oormila couldn't retaliate now as she was indeed wrong.  Wrong in assuming that Yuvraj never went to Yuvrani's chamber after the wedding night and their intimate relationship is close to null.  Today the dark hickey visible on Kalindi's neck was the proof of her misconception.  Oormila said, "Yes Maharani Maithili.  I agree that I'm wrong but we should continue as we have decided.  And if there is no progress, then we can take up the ultimate route to reach the goal".  Maithili didn't reply anything for some time and then asked, "But I don't understand why couldn't you simply talk with Maharaj on this matter and convince him Maharani.  It is the easier way".  Oormila sighed and said, "What can I say about that?  Maharaj wouldn't force Yuvraj when he is stubborn not to get married.  And no one knows why Yuvraj denied.  Now I do think that it must be Yuvrani who might have influenced him".  Oormila was cleverly trying to brainwash Maithili as she knew that for her plan to work, she needs some powerful people by her side. 

Later in the day, Abhyuday was in his study when a knock sounded on his door.  After the permission, a maid entered the study and greeted him.  He just nodded and concentrated on his work, which was the que for her to report.  She said, "Yuvraj as you have assigned, I have watched over Maharani Maithili.  Today after the meeting in Queen's chamber, she came back angrily and frustrated".  Abhyuday smirked and thought, "So it worked.  Women do notice every small things".  He motioned for her to leave and then thought about the events of yesterday.  The same maid reported to him yesterday about the conversation between Oormila and Maithili which she heard while serving snacks to them.  Abhyuday didn't like the fact that Oormila was trying to belittle Kalindi by using his relationship with her.  That's why he tried a small trick to change their assumptions regarding his relationship with his wife.  While he was thinking about his plan of giving her a mark visible to others, his subconscious mind asked, "Was it really just a trick, Abhyuday?  Are you sure, you were totally in your control last night?  Because as far as I can see, giving a mark on her neck could be done in some other way as well.  Not to forget, your good night sleep".  Abhyuday disregarded the voice and distracted himself with his work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Bhabhi - sister-in-law

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.