Chapter 31 - Jealous

Since his father was not there, he had to do the final rituals for his mother as well as unborn sister and it had traumatized him a lot.  And when his father came back, Abhyuday immediately demanded that he was sent to Gurukul".  Kalindi frowned at that new information and felt herself being hurt for what he had to go through at such a young age.  "May be that's why he is so scared about having a child?", Kalindi wondered in her mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After consoling the old Lady and making her sleep, Kalindi went out of the chamber and towards the Royal Garden thinking that by now all the ladies will be gone.  But to her surprise, she found a few among whom she wished that person was not there.  Infront of Kalindi, Vikrama, Susheela, Abhyuday were seated in the chair while some refreshments were served for the evening.  While there stood Swarnalekha nearby Abhyuday, in the name of pouring tea for him, she was brushing his arms against her chest.  Kalindi who was already in a jumble of emotions became angry and came near them.  Susheela thought Kalindi would tear off Surpana-, no, swarnalekha the very moment.  But instead suddenly Kalindi smiled little too sweetly, much different from her usual formal smile, towards Swarnalekha and said, "Swarnalekha, now his wife has come.  So you can stop being his maid".  Swarnalekha felt even more insulted by her words and turned to Abhyuday who was simply swirling the tea and didn't even look up.  So she tried to get his attention by saying in a pitiful voice, "Yuvraj!  I was just trying to help you as your childhood friend, when your wife didn't even bother about it.  But she is insulting me".

Her pitiful voice didn't evoke any emotion from him, rather Susheela gave a disgusted look while Vikrama simply sipped his tea to avoid any drama in his personal life.  Swarnalekha turned to look at Kalindi, only to find no one infront of her and then she heard a snap and looked down.  Kalindi was seated in the only remaining chair by that table.  Kalindi asked, "Are you looking for me?".  Swarnalekha was stunned for a moment and saw that Abhyuday placed the now warm tea infront of his wife for her to take.  Since the tea was brought by Susheela after all the poison testings, they have no qualms about it.  Seeing Swarnalekha's astonished expression, Kalindi said, "My husband doesn't like tea".  Swarnalekha frowned at that new information and felt frustrated at Yuvraj for wasting her time and not stopping her when she started making it for him.  Suddenly Susheela said, "Swarnalekha, I can see how well mannered and well brought up you are.  Now I think it's high time that I should talk to Prime Minister about arranging marriage for you".  Swarnalekha gritted her teeth as her target was not achieved and everyone is taking turns to insult her as if she is their punching bag.  

Disregarding the woman still standing near their table, Susheela asked Kalindi, "What kind of Husband you had expected before your marriage Kalindi? I really wished for a one woman like Lord Rama.  What was your wish?".  Kalindi paused and gave a glance towards Swarnalekha and then said, "I wished for a husband who has the characteristics of Lakshmana, Lord Rama's brother.  You know, I would rather like a man who cuts the nose of an obsessive woman like Surpanakha than the man who gives chance after chance for her to correct herself".  Abhyuday's lips curved into a slight smile and kept looking at his wife, who was throwing daggers through her eyes towards Swarnalekha.  Hearing Kalindi's remark, Susheela understood her meaning and chuckled at that.  Still seeing Swarnalekha standing in the same place, Kalindi continued, "You know Susheela didi (sister), I have always admired the way Lord Lakshmana had cut off Surpanakha's nose when she poked it where she shouldn't.  If he had simply kept silent, she would always come back again thinking that he will accept her one day". 

Susheela nodded at her answer when Swarnalekha stormed off from there without even greeting them off.  Then both the Yuvraj also went away, leaving the two ladies.  And then Susheela asked, "How do you handle her so calmly, Kalindi? I couldn't even stand to see her face".  Kalindi replied in her usual nonchalant manner, "The way you handle her depends on your relationship with your husband, didi.  You can be calm in two cases, one is when your husband didn't give any reason for you to be insecure.  And the other is when there is no real relationship between you too".  Susheela thought about it and it took some time to fully understand what she meant.  After dinner, Kalindi laid down on her bed when Abhyuday entered from the bathroom and laid down beside her.  She didn't say anything for a long time, so Abhyuday asked, "Why so silent tonight?".  To which she replied, "I was in grandmother's chamber in the afternoon ".  He said, "Yeah, I know that.  You go there everyday?".  She looked at him annoyed for stopping her in the middle and said, "But today it was different.  She...she told me about your childhood ". 

Abhyuday chuckled and then replied, "That got you so silent.  I thought you will mock me to no end after knowing that I was chased by a sheep and many more such embarassing stories from my grandmother.  But you seem depressed.  Why? ".  She looked at him by turning towards him and then snuggled in his embrace by keeping her head on his chest.  Then she said, "She told me about your mother".  Silence fell over the room as Kalindi felt him stiffening.  She tightened her hold around his body and said, "I don't know what you think of me, since I got to know this from a third person but I feel I could understand you better.  Why you behave differently with your father and Oormila and so on.  Now I can understand your feelings better.  I'm sorry if you find it wrong?".  After a few moments of silence, Abhyuday said, "There is nothing to be angry about it.  I keep postponing it because I will have to relive those moments if I narrate it.  It's good that Grandma had told you the necessary information".  Once again silence embraced them and then Kalindi sat up on the bed so suddenly that Abhyuday was startled for a moment.  He too sat up on the bed and asked, "What?".

Kalindi asked him, "Why did that swarnalekha served you today?  Usually she always runs behind Yuvraj Vikrama right.  Then why this sudden attention towards you?".  Abhyuday sighed for a moment as the issue was not anything serious and laid back down on the bed and leisurely said with his eyes closed, "How would I know her thoughts?  The maximum I could guess is that since she had been insulted by you many a times, she wants to defeat you in the game where you are weak".  She looked at him and asked with gritted teeth, "And which is the game that I'm weak?".  Abhyuday replied absent mindedly, "The art of seduction ".  Then he realised what he said and opened his eyes to look at her.  He sat up again and gulped while looking at her angry face.  He tried to cover up but before that she asked, "How did you know that she is better than me?  So that's why you were enjoying when she was serving you tea while standing too close you?"

Abhyuday couldn't understand why she suddenly got so frustrated and angry.  He thought he will spend the night in a gloomy mood after sharing the sad moment about the past.  But she swiftly changed the entire mood and that too without her own knowledge.  He immediately answered her, "No Yuvrani, I didn't know anything.  I just said that because she was always clingy towards Vikrama.  That's why".  She calmed down for a moment and then asked, "So you don't know anything about her but your words about me being incapable in the bedroom matters is from your heart. Isn't it?".  When she ended her question, She looked ready to cry with tears swarming in her eyes.  Abhyuday was concerned at the moment because he had always known her to be a strong woman who wouldn't show any of her emotions to others.  But seeing her cry for something so frivolous made him panicked as well.  He tried to explain her saying, "No I was just joking, my Yuvrani.  Do you remember how you have seduced me in the pool previously?  Even after feeling me that day, you still believe in my rubbish words?".  She looked at him for sometime and then pecked his lips and whispered near his lips, "Since I seem to forget that, why don't I try that again? Right now".  She made him lay down on the bed and kissed his torso up from his stomach to his chin and finally kissed him on the lips.

Glossary:

Maharaj - King
Maharani - Queen
Yuvraj - Crown Prince
Yuvrani - Crown Princess
Rajkumar - Prince
Bhai - Brother
Bhabhi - sister-in-law
Chacha - Father's younger brother
Shastrasala - Godown of weapons with practice arena
Gurudev - Teacher

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.