5-The Royal Ball

Cheers erupted as the handsome young groom kissed his beautiful bride. He swept her in his arms and walked down the aisle with big bright smiles adorning their faces.

A year later:

Tears of joy dampened the wife's rosy cheeks as she held her newborn in her arms for the first time. She looked up at her husband, his eyes were filled with tears, and a gentle smile across his face.

"Her name is Delphine '' She whispered lovingly and the husband nodded his head happily in agreement.

Years later:

The man hugs his daughter tight, enveloping her in his arms as if he was shielding her from the world.

His tears stained her yellow dress, little Delphine looked at her father, fear and confusion filling her little heart. Why was her papa sad, her papa was always happy.

"Papa?" She reached out with her chubby hands and wiped her father's tears. The grieving man only hugs his daughter tighter.

How was he supposed to explain to his five-year-old daughter that she'll never see her mother again, that she'll grow up without her mother's love?

Several years later:

A single tear rolled down his pale cheek, and a gentle smile curved his lips as he lovingly watched his daughter, who was sleeping uncomfortably on a chair. From the day the illness forced him to his bed, she remained by his side.

He questioned what he did to deserve such a kind caring daughter. His heart felt heavy at the thought of leaving her on her own. He was well aware his time on this earth was coming to an end.

Many people would say that Viscount Leopard Bexley lived a short life, but to him, the years he had to live without his wife felt like centuries. The only reason he kept on going was his precious daughter. He devoted his life to her happiness and well-being.

The following morning after the late Viscount Bexley passed away, Alden Verloin was the first to arrive at the Bexley estate. The man was pale as a ghost, his eyes were bloodshot, and as he stepped out of his carriage he nearly stumbled.

For many nights Delphine slept at the stories of him and her father's adventures. Her father loved to tell her stories from his childhood and she loved to listen to each one.

The Earl of Verloin stayed by her side consoling her and at the same time taking care of all the necessary paperwork. She was thankful that her father was blessed by such a loyal friend.

The Earl tried several times to convince her to go live with him and his family in his household, but she politely declined his kind offer each time. However, He couldn't leave his dear friend's young daughter on her own, especially in such a vulnerable state. He knew how ugly and cruel the world could be.

On Monday of the second week, her third cousin and his wife came. Delphine had never met them before, however, she was glad to have her family by her side during the most difficult time of her life.

Her cousin's interest was far from consoling the orphan girl. He had solely come to claim the title of Viscount and the family home. By law, the viscount of Bexley title and the Bexley estate were to pass to the next male relative in line.

Years ago, exactly a year after his wife's death, Viscount Leopard Bexley made sure to protect his only daughter and not leave her at the mercy of his nephew. In his will, he left most of his properties to his daughter, making her one of the wealthiest women in the kingdom. The greedy cousin and his wife were enraged by the news and schemed to get rid of Delphine. And what better solution than marrying her off?