13. Falling for her

Elora pov:

Castiel stood in front of his dark wooden desk. His golden hair was styled to perfection, not a single strand astray. Draped over his square shoulders, an olive knee-length coat. The bright sunlight filtering through the window illuminated the intricate gold patterns adorning the coat's collar and sleeves.

A dark shadow cast over his eyes as his gaze landed upon me, and his lips twisted in annoyance.

I rolled my eyes internally, woah! Glad to see you too.

Nonetheless, I pushed my feelings aside, determined not to let them show on my face. Noticing Delphine had entered the office, I instantly followed her. However, I was stopped dead in my tracks: the extended arm of the maid blocked my way.

"I apologize my lady. His Highness wishes to speak to Lady Bexley privately." She explained. My eyebrows shot up in surprise, Gladly!

Calmness washed over me, and I could feel both my body and mind relax. Suppressing the smile that threatened to creep onto my face, I quickly curtsied respectfully. Eager to go enjoy some tea and sweets with the lovely Astrid, although I was sure nothing could beat Dorothy's tea.

When my head rose and my eyes fell on Delphine, she did not look happy. Puffing her rosy cheeks, a small glare flickered in her eyes. The girl had a very expressive face.

I softy smiled in reassurance, a silent message to show her that I was okay. However, her frown only itched deeper into her face as the maid closed the office door, leaving Delphine and Castiel alone.

"My lady, if you would allow me, I shall escort you to Princess Astrid." The maid suggested, and I nodded in agreement.

The sound of my heels clicking against the marble floor filled the silence, as we walked through the glided hallways. When suddenly an old-looking man walked out of a room with a brown leather bag clutched in his hand. My eyes narrowed into slits, he wasn't accompanied by a maid which meant he was familiar with the castle.

A gasp left my lips, he must be the royal physician.

"What is happening in there?" Curiosity got the better of me, so I asked the maid.

"Lord Irvine was wounded in service to the king. His Majesty has graciously taken my Lord Irvine under his wing until he is fully restored to health."

My heart skipped a beat, and a pout formed on my lips. The author described that Aurilius had nasty injuries.

I turned my gaze to the maid and heavy sight left my lips. "Working in the royal palace must be incredibly demanding. I can only imagine how much workload is piling up on your back."

For an instant the maid's professional mask slipped, so I continued in my sweetest voice: "If you'd like, you can tell me where Princess Astrid is. I could find my way on my own."

Hesitancy flashed through her eyes, and before she could refuse I gently pressed on. "I wouldn't want to impose. However, I would feel like a burden if I kept you from your most important tasks."

"As you wish, my lady. Her Highness is waiting for you at the main garden." The maid finally accepted, even tho from her tone, it was apparent she wasn't entirely convinced.

I waited until the maid disappeared, I made my way to Aurilius's room on my tiptoes. The door wasn't fully closed, leaving a narrow slit to peek through.

My eyes struggled to catch a glimpse of the room, as the widows were covered by heavy curtains.

I wasn't peeping, I was only making sure the story was back to its original plot. I nodded my head.