16. New Side of Him

Elora pov:

His face relaxed, as he closed his eyes, resting his head against the tree with his arm crossed behind his neck. Soft strands of his hair swayed in the gentle breeze. He seemed tranquil, a sight I never dared imagine even in my wildest dreams.

Maybe he doesn't see me as a threat that's why he was so relaxed. My lips pursed, I won't consider myself a threat either.

"So what will happen now, Alma?" Aurelius breathed out, his voice barely above a whisper. In a second, I wondered if the words were meant for me to hear or a murmur to himself.

"Now ... You are the Duke of Irvine." I shrugged, not knowing what else to say.

"I was the one who killed him in the past. Or must I say in the novel?" He scoffed.

"mhm," I gulped, nodding my head hesitantly.

From the corner of my eyes, I caught a glimpse of his fingers flexing as I gently lifted my hand from above his and placed it on my knees. I swiftly averted my eyes to my fidgeting fingers, not daring to steal a glance at him, afraid to see the serene expression on his face contorting into something ugly due to my confession.

"You mentioned something earlier, you came here for selfish reasons," He recalled with an unexpectedly calm voice. My eyes widened from shock and my head whipped towards him.

He didn't sound mad, didn't look mad, at all! His face remained the same, except for a sly smirk dancing on his lips.

"it is not important anymore.." I smiled sadly as I was reminded how my hopes were crushed. The duke's fate was to die, and so was I. I looked away as I felt tears stinging my eyes.

"I am intrigued." he insisted, and I knew he wouldn't give up until I spoke.

"I ... I thought if I could prevent the death of the Duke, I could've prevented mine.." As I managed to utter the depressing words, my tears flowed freely down my cheeks.

"You cannot be serious. this is simply absurd." Aurelius sneered; rolling his eyes. I shot him a glare.

Absurd! Let me tell you what is 'absurd'. It is 'absurd' how gorgeous those eyes look in the dim light of the night! I groaned internally, I must stop.

"If we follow your reasoning, this means I would rot in those dungeons, and I refuse such a fate!" he declared firmly, sitting up straighter.

"I don't know!" A frustrated sob escaped my throat, I hugged my knees tighter and buried my head between them. Maybe that was our destiny.

"Cease your tears," He sighed, his tone laced with a hint of irritation. He continued: "In case you failed to notice, originally I was the one to kill him, but it didn't happen."

"Yet he was killed..." I mumbled, wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

"I never thought the day would arrive when I would utter such words, yet here we are" He clicked his tongue in annoyance. "listen, I am indebted to you, and I shall repay my debt. I will not kill you. I hope you are now satisfied."

"Well if tonight proved anything, is that even if you won't do it someone else would." I retorted bitterly.

"You are truly ungrateful." He rolled his eyes.

"I .." Words caught in my throat, and my eyes blinked slowly as a sudden realization dawned on me.

We were discussing this so casually. If in the past, someone came to me and told me that they were from another world and my world was a novel, I would have a difficult time believing them that quickly.