Chapter 2 - "America,"

Chapter 2

Shake It Off ~ Taylor Swift

•Ethan's POV•

I stood in line, waiting for my coffee at a local café on the corner. The place was made up of dark wood, the two walls connecting to the street were large, square glass panes. And everything smelt like coffee.

I'm in heaven.

"Ethan!"

I go up to the counter to retrieve my black coffee, generously sipping at it as I exit the lovely building and onto the cold streets.

Now, don't get me wrong, I live for cold weather, but if I got to choose to stay in the warmth of a café, with the sounds of coffee machines and the smell of coffee beans, I'd choose it over outdoors any day. Not that I was crazy about the outdoors or anything.

I pulled my gray coat tighter around me on the short walk back to my car.

"Took you long enough," Zoe says, not too kindly, when I open the door to my car. She was now bundled up in a yellow jacket that stretched past her blue dress.

"I asked if you wanted to come."

"But Tay Tay was playing!" She whines, crossing her arms in front of her.

"You know, they had the radio on in the café." With this, she just frowns at me. I chuckle as I close the door behind me and start the car, reversing and taking the route to Zoe's school.

After several minutes of driving, and Zoe humming Taylor to herself, she asks if she can put music on.

"Isn't the radio good enough?" I ask, pulling my phone out of my pocket and handing it over to Zoe anyway.

She connects my phone to the AUX cord as she scrolls through my songs. "But I want to listen to Tay Tay," she says as Shake It Off begins to play.

I listen to Zoe quietly sing along, while I can't help but tap my fingers on the steering wheel on the way to the public school.

Zoe put the song on repeat, and after Shake It Off playing three more times, we reached Zoe's school. I pulled up in front of the front gate, waiting for her to hop out.

I was also expecting tears and sobs, and her begging me to not make her go, but instead, I received a quick hug, a short goodbye, and then she was gone, running into the school.

Always the dependent one.

I chuckled as I watched her disappear into the school. I was more nervous than she was about our 'big first day'.

But, I mean, I have more of a reason to be nervous, don't I? High school is definitely more scarier than primary. High school had bullies, assholes, homophobes and hard work. Either that or she was ten times braver than me.

Probably the latter . . . I think.

And even though I was in my final year of high school, older than almost everyone at the school except the people in my year, I was still fearing for my life as I pulled into the car park of the school.

I checked the time. Good, I have a few minutes to activate my credit.

I disconnected my phone from the stereo system and typed in a bunch of numbers. Then, I heard the welcoming sound of notifications and texts dinging in one after another.

I saw a text from my old friend, Emily, that I left behind at my old town. I haven't talked to her since I left, besides one email each.

Oops.