Chapter 32 - Nuggets & Home

Chapter 32

Nuggets & Home

•Ethan's POV•

The following week passed by in a monotonous blur of sunrises, long naps and Halsey.

Mom had been flying around working and only got back home yesterday, Thursday.

Zoe had been going to school every day, despite insisting almost every day that she would stay home and comfort me while we watched Disney movies.

America had been showing up almost every afternoon after school, usually bringing some form of a food with her, trying to cheer me up. Sometimes she even would offer to take me somewhere to clear my mind; she has been saying there's this one place that she has been dying to show me. I promised her I would let her take me next week, which she had responded with a great big grin.

It was Friday now, and both Zoe and I were loading our overnight bags, which we had both just spent the last half hour packing, into the backseat of my car.

Mom walked out of the open front door. "You've got the papers?" She asked when she reached me. Her voice was slightly hushed, and she kept checking to see if Zoe was listening or not.

I just nodded. I was about as happy as Mom is right now, and while I would usually resent my mother for making me run this damned errand, I understood that she had to work, and knew that it was probably not the ideal way that she would want to spend her weekend.

Mom then handed me a wad of cash, and before I could hesitate, she shoved it into my hand. Then she closed the distance between us with a squeezing hug. "I know you don't want to do this, and I know you're still hurting, but you know I wouldn't trust just anyone to do this."

I nodded into her neck, struggling – but succeeding – to keep the tears at bay. She pulled out of the hug and looked me in the eyes. "Try and not be so emotional this weekend?" She suggested with a small smile.

I couldn't help but return the small smile. "I'll try not to be an emotional wreck for a day or two," I promised.

"And you," Mom said, her voice immediately picking up in volume and pitch. She picked up Zoe and hoisted her onto her hip. "Be good for Ethan, won't you?" Zoe nodded enthusiastically.

"I will," she said. But then she looked at me with an evil grin. "But I may be evil when it comes to ordering food at McDonalds."

I rolled my eyes. "I have no doubt about that," I said. "C'mon, in the car you little rat."

Mom kissed Zoe on the forehead then let her down onto the ground. By the time I was sat in the driver's seat, Zoe had already run around the car and jumped into the passenger's seat, closing the door and securing her seatbelt. I buckled my seatbelt too.

"All buckled?" Mom said with a big smile.

"All buckled!" Zoe grinned back.

"I'll be back Monday night, okay?"

Zoe and I would be getting back Sunday night, if all went to plan. If not, maybe a day earlier.

"Okay, Mom," I said. "We'll see you soon."

I reversed out of the driveway while Zoe was waving goodbye to Mom.

As soon as we were driving away and the house and Mom were out of sight, Zoe reached for my phone on the dash and plugged it into the radio system.

"Shall we play some Taylor?" Zoe suggested, and while she said it as a question, I knew she was already scrolling down the artists, tapping on Taylor, and shuffling every album.