Chapter 47 - You R In Love

Chapter 47

You R In Love

•Ethan's POV•

The phone dials. It rings barely three times before he picks up.

"Hey, Jake?"

I'm standing before the window in my room, but I'm not really looking outside – I'm focusing on his voice, on what to say, more than anything.

"Hello, Ethan," he says, and while he is trying to mask his voice with calmness, I can hear the slight giddiness in his voice.

"I think it's time we finally have that talk," I say. Usually, that kind of statement would have a stern tone behind it, but I can't hide the smile of hope playing on my lips, seeping through the phone.

"I'm on my way now," he says. I can tell he's smiling too.

"Okay," I say. Still smiling.

"Okay," he says. Still smiling.

Then I hang up.

It's been a day since I had talked to Tyler, resolving my last issue before I could talk with Jake.

But even though I had spent the whole school day not paying much attention and instead focusing on what I was going to say to Jake and wondering where this conversation would leave us, I was still nervous.

So nervous that I had sweat through my shirt despite the mild weather.

I decide to have a cold shower to wash off the unnecessary sweat of the day – or as cold as I can handle it – before dressing in some jeans and a simple tee.

Then I make my way where I plan to have this conversation with Jake.

- - - - -

•Jake's POV•

The drive to Ethan's is nerve-wracking, to the point where I wonder if it's normal for a teenage boy to have heart palpitations.

But I'm also beyond happy and excite and hopeful.

Because this is finally happening. We're finally having the talk, the talk that will hopefully fix us, mend the cracks that I had helplessly created. But I know that it may not work out, that we could end up being no more than acquaintances or barely friends.

But I'd be lying if I didn't have a positive feeling of what was about to happen.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't dress up for this – I mean, I didn't really; I'm just wearing jeans and a short-sleeve button-down, nothing too fancy. I may have also put on my favourite cologne.

I laugh as I pull into Ethan's street.

He's sitting on the roof of his house – in his usual spot that I had seen him in a few times since the weeding, right above his window.

He's watching the sunset, and smiling.

I park my car and look up at Ethan as I walk across his front lawn, but before I can say anything, he shouts down to me "go around the back, you'll find your way from there."

So, I do exactly that.

I walk around his car that's parked on the driveway, past the garage and through the shrubs to the slightly hidden side gate. It's unlocked and open. I walk through and close it behind me. I follow the stone path around the house, past the new garden that is blooming with all kinds of colours.

There's a long ladder lain against the back of the house.

I can't help but chuckle. "This boy," I say to myself, as I start climbing the ladder.