Chapter 17 - Honeymoon Boys Pt. II

Chapter 17

Honeymoon Boys Pt. II

•Ethan's POV•

"I hate drive-thru McDonalds," Jake complains.

I definitely couldn't argue with that. We've been sitting in the line for almost fifteen minutes and we've still got a few cars ahead of us before we even get to the ordering machine. And there were cars piled up behind us, making it impossible for us to reverse out of here.

"You really suck at picking the food spots, don't you?" I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm. Well, slightly.

We were two cars away from the ordering machine now.

Jake argues, "hey! I thought that twenty-four-hour diner was a great place to go to." Well, I can't argue with that. It was cute and small and quiet.

"So," I ask, "where are we off to after this?"

"It's a surprise," Jake says. "But it won't be a good one unless these stupid people hurry up and get their stupid food."

Finally, it was our turn to drive up to the ordering machine.

Jake turned to me while the cashier spoke through the machine, asking us what we wanted.

"A number 7, please," I say.

Jake turns back to the ordering machine. "Can I please have two number 7's," Jake says.

The cashier replies, "grilled or crispy?"

Jake turns to me. "Crispy, obviously," I say.

He turns back. "Crispy, please."

"And what size?" The cashier asks.

Jake doesn't turn to me for this one. "Medium, please."

"Drive through to the first window when you can," the cashier says.

Jake starts to drive through and I smack him lightly on his upper arm. "What if I wanted a large?" I ask.

"Trust me, babe, you don't need a large," he says with a smug smirk on his face, while he chuckles slightly to himself. "I'm only kidding. If you eat a large you'll be too full to do anything else, or have dessert."

"I thought I told you not to call me babe."

- - - - -

The sun was beginning to set over the horizon as Jake drove in the direction of the coastline.

"So, can I know where we're going now?" I ask Jake.

Jake shakes his head, his eyes on the road. He looked like he was concentrating on where he was going more than usual. Not that he was a bad driver or anything, but he didn't usually pay this much attention to street signs and buildings.

I decided I'd sit there and just wait, since that was the third time in the last ten minutes that I've asked him and received no more than a head shake as an answer.

A few minutes passed by, with crappy nineties music on the radio in the background, and sipping on our cokes, until Jake finally started to really know where he was going. And so did I, because of the street signs pointing the way to the lookout.

We drove up to the lookout and got out of the car, taking our McDonalds with us to a wooden park bench, one of many that was scattered around the grass area.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Jake asked as we climbed into opposite sides of the bench.

"It is," I said, more focused on the view.