Chapter 36 - Heart to Heart

Chapter 36

Heart to Heart

•Ethan's POV•

Pulling into my driveway, I was sure America would've been here by now. But the curb was empty.

"Aww, where's America?" Zoe asks as she gets out of my car after I park it and turn it off, ceasing the Taylor Swift music.

"I have no idea," I say honestly.

I was expecting her to be here now, as she said she would be, straight after school. "She's probably just briefly caught up with Noah," I say.

We go inside, and Zoe turns on the television, putting on the Disney Channel. I join her after grabbing a bag of chips from the cupboard.

I'm not sure how long passes, maybe half an hour, when I decide to text America to ask where she's been.

A chip bag and an hour and a half later I get a text back from America, saying she's on her way right now.

The doorbell rings before the next episode finishes, and I jump over the back of the lounge to unlock the door.

"Sorry I'm so late," America says, walking over to the dining table to put her handbag down. "I had some last-minute homework that I needed to finish and God forbid Noah actually takes his naps on time. But it's okay, because we still have time and we won't miss it."

"Miss what?" I ask, curious about where we are going and what we may potentially miss.

America ignores my question. "Zack and Cody On Deck? Hell yeah, that's the best show there is." Zoe nods enthusiastically in agreement, while her eyes are glued to the television. America dives for the remote though and turns it off.

Zoe whines but America grabs her shoulders and whispers in her ear. "How about you show me your garden quickly?" Zoe doesn't complain about this and jumps off the lounge to lead America outside.

Her garden isn't much of a garden but more of a dozen or so plants potted and lined up against the outside wall, with a range of little decorations to the side when she does get her garden going.

"These are so pretty!" America exclaims.

Zoe nods vigorously. "This is my favourite one," she says, pointing to her huge yellow sunflower.

"How about I come over one weekend and help you with your garden?" America suggests, inspecting the other vibrant flowers and bright-leafed plants.

"Ooh, yes please! That would be great! There's so much to do."

"Of course," America says. "Now, you'll be fine on your own for a few hours? I have to take Ethan to his surprise."

We make our way back inside. "Ethan's told me what to do," Zoe says.

I repeat what I told her just for safety measures. "Lock the door when we leave. Dinner is in the fridge, ready to reheat in the microwave when you're hungry. There's also ice cream if you want dessert. And try and not stay up past ten if you can."

"Got it," Zoe says, hugging me quickly, and then hugging America.

"Okay, you ready?" America asks me.

I pat my pockets. Keys, phone, wallet. "Yep."

"Let's do this!" America says excitedly, fist-pumping the air after grabbing her handbag.

America and I make our way out the door. "Goodbye, Sweet Pea," she says to Zoe.

Zoe echoes her goodbye behind the now-closed door, and I wait a moment to hear the lock click into place.