↳ too late - A.R

anthony. my best friend. the one i trusted with my life. the one who i knew would always be there for me. the one i loved. but not mine to have. not all stories have happy endings now do they?

"ant?" i called as he looked over towards me and raised his eyebrows.

"how's avani?" i asked after a while, as he looked back at his laptop and stared at the screen, thinking of a response.

"she's good. i really miss her. she's gonna come back next week." he answered, a small smile coming over his face, as i nodded and looked away.

"why?" he asked confused as to why i'd care about their relationship.

"nothing. just curious." i shrugged getting off his bed and towards the door.

"where're you going?" he asked as i looked back at him.

"i mean you are working, i don't wanna disturb you. i'll just hang out with jaden or josh or the others." i responded as his eyes lingered on mine.

"do you like me?" he asked as my eyes widened. fucking jaden. he probably told him.

"what? that's a very random question. why would you think that?" i retorted defensively, walking back towards him.

"nevermind, forget i asked. my curiosity got the best of me." he raised his hands in defeat as i shook my head unconvinced.

"why would you ask that?" i asked again as he connected his eyes with mine again.

"jaden told you didn't he?" i asked as he slightly furrowed his eyebrows. his confused stare skewed into one of amusement.

"no you did." he said as i tilted my head in confusion. "right now." he added as i opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"i need to go." i mumbled backing away as he stood up and quickly walked up towards me before i could leave his room. he blocked me off from his bedroom door- my exit out of all his upcoming questions and looked down at me, as i looked away towards the ceiling fan, silently hoping that i could just hang down from it at this point due all the embarrassment i felt.

"since when?" he whispered, voice cracking a bit midway. i crossed my arms over my chest, as if making it known that i wouldn't answer when he simply just as he asked again.

"right before you and avani got together." i muttered back as he scoffed lightly, looking down at the floor and shaking his head.

"what?" i asked confused as he raised his head, still shaking it.

"you know, avani was supposed to be a rebound?" he stated after a while. i widened my eyes. what does that even mean.

"i used to like you and..." he trailed off as my jaw literally dropped at his words.

i gathered all my courage asking my next question.

"since when?" i asked when he instantly replied.

"since we met last year." he replied as i just stared at his face in shock. he never even hinted at it?

"why didn't you ever tell me then?" i asked again, questions just rolling off my tongue continuously.

"because you wouldn't stop talking about jaden and how much you liked his abs and face and his perfectly bleached hair and i just decided not to okay?" he responded frustration rolling off his tone of voice.

"so you never thought of letting me know that you liked me?" i raised my voice as he scoffed looking up at the ceiling, leaning his head towards the door.

"do you still like me?" i whispered softly as he moved away from the door and towards his bed.

"faye, i don't wanna talk about this right now." he warned turning his back at me as i shook my head. i needed answers.

"anthony reeves, do you still like me?" i asked again walking up towards him as he sat down on his bed and ran his hands through his head.

"i'm dating avani." he mumbled helplessly as tears threatened to spill from my eyes.

"do you like me then?" i asked again as he looked up at me instantly.

"i love avani. i'm sorry." he whispered as i nodded.

"fair." i replied looking down. "fair." i repeated looking up at his face and nodding.

"look i think you should go." he mumbled as i nodded again.

"yeah i was just leaving." you whispered back, walking towards the door.

"also." he called as you turned around facing him.

"i'm sorry." he said clearly "for not telling you sooner or whatever." he added as i smiled at him with glossy eyes.

"it's okay ant." i replied turning the knob and closing the door as i left his air conditioned room, leaving my heart in there with him.