Chapter 65

A/N: It's finally here, the final chapter to In a Heartbeat. Of course, there's still the epilogue, but I hope this chapter does some justice. Love you all that have stuck around <3

Song: The Sun Will Rise by Rhys Lewis; we'll be fine by Luz; I Wish I Was the Moon by Ewan J Phillips

Simon's POV

It was half-past seven in the evening when I heard the sound of Sam's keys outside the front door. It wasn't unusual for him to come home late, given the frequent emergency calls, but it didn't stop the excitement of him being home. He set his messenger bag near the door, pulling off his shoes. "Hey, sorry I'm late. Had a late walk-in with some unexpected complications."

"That's okay." He dropped a couple of papers and envelopes on the kitchen counter, before peeling off his scarf and coat. I smiled up at him. "How was work?"

"Good," he replied, placing his scarf on the coat rack. "I still got some paperwork to fill out that Xavier dropped off. Something about a partnership for supplies with your pack."

He gestured to the papers before walking to the living room to sit by my side. "Xavier visited?"

"He was dropping off some medical supplies," Sam explained, pulling my hand in his. "He said he misses you."

"That's too bad, I wanted to see him too." I made a face at Sam who merely laughed. "I miss his chaotic energy."

Same squeezed my hand before shifting and turning towards me. "You know you can always visit him, or invite him here."

"I know," I whined, before patting his knee. "And I missed you today. It's boring here all by myself."

He scoffed. "I figured you'd be tired of being stuck with me at the clinic."

"I could never," I exclaimed. "There's never a dull moment. Between you, the girls, or the patients, every day is different."

"That's true," he mumbled, leaning closer to my face, his nose just grazing mine. "And I missed you too."

"Oh, is that so?" I smirked, sending a quizzical look. "What did you miss about me?"

He hummed against my lips before peering up at me. "Hmm, those curious eyes of yours, eager to help me with whatever task we need help with."

I hummed, grazing my lips with his before pulling apart. "What else?"

He pulled my hands up to his lips. "Your hands. So gentle and reassuring."

"Oh," I drawled out. "Hmmm, and?"

"Everything...I missed everything about you. Your laughs, your smile, your unmatched headstrong personality," He said softly, before leaving a chaste kiss on my lips. "And your lips, so enticing. They feel like home."

"Oh, is that so? I teased again. He cupped my face, one of his hands trailing towards the back of my neck as he leaned forward. His eyes fluttered close as his lips touched mine, hit home, as he called it. It was gentle, our lips pressed firmly together. His hand on my neck left goosebumps, trailing to the small of my back. The kisses became desperate, our lips just grazing each other before falling into a rhythm. A hum turned into a low moan as he took charge, his hand on my back braced me as I leaned further into the couch. We were hungry for this, intimacy. Between working at the clinic, and my own inhibitions, we had missed this feeling.

I pressed forward, kissed him further, before leaning our foreheads against each other, letting the high fade as we caught our breath. We pulled back, breathless, his eyes still in a daze as they stared at me. A slight smile made its way to his face. We chuckled, and I leaned my head against his chest, feeling our racing hearts slow down.