Chapter 50

A/N: I wish I could say the big 5-O chapter was a monumental piece in this story's plot, but it is not lol. It's more of a build-up to the great planning I have for the next chapter which I'm super excited about. I barely finished this chapter on time, as my fellow discord peeps have seen. If you're interested in joining, dm so I can add you, since the link was giving me issues last chapter. We have lots of fun, and I tend to spoil this book to people who haven't read it lol. And I love a good trivia partner, hehe. Anyways enjoy wholesome Xavier time <3 And let me know what you think. Comments, votes, and follows are well appreciated. Love y'all!

Chapter 50

Simon's POV

To no surprise, Vince wasn't there when I woke up, my hand loosely draped on his side of the bed that had gone cold. It was always two steps forward, one step back with Vince.

Although expected, it still left a bitter feeling in my chest. Since I've been here, it was this constant come and go with him. Some days, like yesterday, felt like we made some headway, others it just felt we were starting back at the beginning again.

And with how things were going, I should've guessed things would go backward.

But whatever he was thinking about that prevented him from moving forward, I would be there for him to take those three, four, five, even twenty steps forward if he needed it. I didn't come here after everything that's happened, just to see him belittle himself and ruin his own esteem over pesky things. Progress was possible. It had happened yesterday, no matter how little he made it sound, he had opened up. It had been the most vulnerable I had seen him, the most vulnerable he let himself be around me. And that was something, no matter what he said.

I laid in bed for a bit longer, staring at the blank walls in front of me as I stretched my limbs, letting my mind wander to last night. Focusing my eyes on my outstretched hand, clenching and unclenching it, remembering the way Vince's hand felt in my own. Then I thought about us in the hospital, when we were visiting his mother. He had been so insistent on keeping my hand in his, and then, he had said those words, he's my mate. Just hearing it in his voice made me feel that we were really getting somewhere finally. He had never admitted it before, hadn't said it aloud in front of me. In the past, he had denied it, and sixteen years ago he had called me a liar.

And when he had told his mother that he'd take care of me, protect me, it was like a breakthrough. Even if it had been a lie, it had sounded convincing enough for me. I clenched my hand in the sheets in front of me.

I was still here, but where were you?

I got ready in silence, putting my nightclothes next to the duffel, one I probably should have unpacked a while ago. I had put it off, and it felt weird like I was already encroaching on his space. That feeling hadn't left, even after how many weeks it's been.

I sighed, patting the bag as if it'd do anything.

Then a knock at the door, followed by Xavier's voice. "What's the sigh about?"

I turned to see him failing to hide a box behind his back. I grinned, pointing at the box. "What's that about?

"Oh, this?" He seemed to blush in embarrassment. He presented the box before struggling with the lid. "I decided to make cookies. They probably aren't the best, but I'm determined to master it if it's the last thing I do."

I chuckled. "I'm sure they're fine. Could I try?"

"Why would I flaunt these in front of you if I was going to keep them all to myself?"

I took one, looking at it in a comically harsh way before taking a bite. I chewed, and chewed, and chewed.

He looked worried, lowering the box as I chewed. "That bad?"