Chapter 30

A/N: Sorry it's a bit late, actually struggled to finish this one. It's a bit shorter than normal for Simon's POV, but meh. Don't forget to comment, vote, follow, etc. Thanks for the 3k votes so far! Anyways, enjoy! Things should begin to pick up more in the next few chapters.

Chapter 30

Simon's POV

I ended up making pancakes for breakfast with Xavier hovering around me. He had burned them the last time he made it, so I helped show him how. He helped add the toppings he wanted, watching at awe as I flipped it without any troubles. He told me one time it folded in half like an omelette, and since then he had given up on making pancakes.

"Gosh, I really don't know how you do that," he said in between munching the pancakes. "You know one time I messed up a frozen pizza. I accidentally left the cardboard underneath it, and the smoke detector went off. Luckily Dwaine was here, or the kitchen would have been burned down."

I smiled as he continued to scarf down the rest of the pancakes.

He checked his phone before clearing his throat, "Michael wants to speak with you."

I set the dishes in the sink before looking at him. "About yesterday?"

Xavier nodded, before pursing his lips. "Did you want me to come with?"

"I should be alright," I told him. So long as Vince wasn't there, I'd be fine.

"Well, let me know if you need me there. I've gotta set up some things for the RCPP, but I'll be there if you call."

I hummed before finishing up the dishes, Xavier helping to put them back in the drawers and cabinets. It was amusing watching him try to figure out where his own dishes go. Poor guy really had no kitchen skills.

Xavier walked with me to the packhouse, since it was on his way to the RCPP, he'd point out a few things we missed yesterday, explaining a few changes they made to certain things. Sarah had expanded the orphanage program with Xavier, the very one I had volunteered at. The building had gained a few extra rooms and a larger outdoor space for pups to run. Walking past it, a few of the workers had waved at us, some of the older kids yelling at Xavier. He waved back with such a kind smile, even calling out to the workers' and kids' names.

He gave another wave before continuing to walk, going on about some other things, while I stared at the packhouse. It was always a scary building, even when I had been here, I think I only ever went inside twice. It was massive, for starters, but the enormous windows, along with the betas patrolling the perimeter just made it even more intimidating.

With Xavier next to me, they didn't even blink twice as I walked up the steps, heading inside.

Xavier pointed up the grand staircase that led to the office we had been in yesterday. "He's in the conference room on the third floor. Let me know if you need me."

I nodded, giving him a small smile, before looking up the flight of stairs. Even the way the red stair runner matched the decorative pieces next to stairs seemed so elaborate and lavish. I hadn't noticed it yesterday, but everything about the place was so out of my comfort zone. The detailing on the railing, or the different moldings surrounding the walls, or even the little knick-knacks that served no real purpose but to scream expensive. It was worlds apart from the motel we stayed at.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding before walking up those steps.

I had to convince myself to keep walking when I stared at the foreboding mahogany double doors. Just yesterday, it was a complete shitshow there. From what Michael suggested to Aspen dragging us out of there. But I had to believe that Michael wouldn't put me and Vince in a room together, that he was just here to talk to me alone.