Chapter 24

A/N: What? Double update this week? Ya, I surprised myself too, LOL. Part of the reason is I quickly want to go back to Simon's POV, but also because it's a bit short and I suck at fight scenes, so this is the best I got. Sorry if it's not the epic fight scene you were imagining, but the results are expected. Enjoy! Let me know what you think! The next chapter will be MUCH longer, so hopefully, it'll make up for this shitty fight. Next chapter also concludes Part 1 of this book, can't wait for you guys to see what happens with Simon :)

Chapter 24

Vince's POV

I had skipped the subsequent doses since my time in the basement. Although everything felt out of whack, it was safe to say that I could shift. I had practiced three times since then, all of which Xavier stayed to watch in case anything happened. He had also taken it upon himself to keep the pills on him so I didn't feel the need to take it. As much as I wanted to down some pills, I knew everything could go back to normal as soon I finished dealing with Michael later on today. The shifts were still painful, but I had slowly gotten accustomed to it, and my wolf was probably enjoying this way more than I had.

I could tell Xavier wasn't enjoying it, but I could care less. He needed to see that this needed to be done in order for me to stop Michael.

"We have an hour," Xavier said as we headed to the RCPP. "The betas will stay at the pack boundary line. I'll have Dwaine and Lucas with us."

I hummed as we entered the building, a few of the staff greeting us. Some got us refreshments as we headed to the small conference room.

As they stood there expectantly, I frowned. "Can you give us some privacy?"

They hurriedly ran off, leaving us the pitcher of water. Xavier grabbed some water before turning to me. "You think you'll be alright if it comes down to a fight?"

"Is that concern?" I nearly laughed. "You didn't look happy that I had shifted."

"As much as you annoy me, I don't trust Michael if he becomes the alpha. He's too unpredictable."

"That won't happen," I told him. "Over my dead body will he become alpha."

---

I couldn't help but notice how eerily quiet the forest was as we approached the clearing. Even the bird calls and chirps of smaller animals had all but vanished. Xavier and the others followed close behind as we finally got a glimpse of Michael in his human form. With that signature smug look, he almost appeared bored standing there with his arms crossed.

I was expecting his whole posse to show up, or at least a couple of loyal rogues he snagged along the way, but it was just him. A part of me half-expected Simon to be there as well, like some kind-of hostage situation.

For some reason, seeing him all alone gave me a strange feeling in my chest. I blamed it on the lack of meds, but a part of me still wondered.

"Where is he?" I demanded. Michael's brow rose, as if in curiosity.

He scoffed. "You think he'd wanna be here? To witness me kick your ass?"

"Where is he?"

"I didn't promise you to bring him here. You think I keep tabs on him? That's your job, not mine." He rolled his eyes. "Besides, you think he'd be dumb enough to show his face around here? You're truly dumber than I thought."

"I haven't seen Simon in months," he explained. "But, that doesn't mean I could kill him if you hadn't shown."

I snarled, wanting to punch him square in the jaw, but Xavier held me back.