Chapter 32

A/N: Wow a longer Vince chapter, what is this? LOL. Anyways hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Chapter 32

Vince's POV

Chase excused me from our therapy session early, insisting he had other things to discuss with Simon. The look on Chase's face as I left sent a clear message, don't fuck up. Ya, if it was only that easy, I thought. There was still that looming question of why Simon seemed so willing to go through with this, and how exactly we could coexist together, especially in the same room.

Either he was just that dumb enough to believe things would work out between us, or he had an ulterior motive. My bet was on the latter, but it still didn't make any sense. What could he possibly gain by being close to someone who basically ruined his life?

But what Chase said did make some sense, even if it had sounded outrageous. I hated to admit, but these pills were taking a toll on my physical strength, including those migraines and painful shifts. Getting off of them would in theory help, but just the thought of its repercussions was terrifying.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want my wolf to die, I know what that would imply, and Chase's warnings couldn't hold any more truth. But to hear my wolf's incessant yapping, to hear him yell and complain to me about what I've done, I didn't want any part of that. I had already dealt with it when I first found out about Simon, and when I dueled with Michael. I didn't need another person to remind me of the wrongs I caused.

But what I feared most was how being off these pills would change me. I was so used to not feeling anything, not caring about anything. I needed to be stern, fearless, and unfazed if I was to be alpha. I don't have time to let pesky feelings and emotions get to me. I couldn't be an emotional bitch like Michael had been with David, that wasn't how alphas were supposed to act. That wasn't what our father wanted.

And if that's what being off those pills felt like, I didn't want any part in it.

---

Before I could even make it up to the stair landing, there was Sarah, with her hands on her hips as she sent a glare from the top of the stairs. Lately, she always wore that judgmental look when she looked at me. It wasn't completely a new look, but it hurt to see it directed at me after all those years. Usually, she'd glare like that at the older stuck-up council members, especially those that opposed more progressive and extensive protocols we wanted to implement. Now, she didn't even smile at me.

"Sarah," I greeted with a half-smile.

She pointed her thumb toward the conference room. "We need to talk."

I scoffed. "I thought you wanted nothing to do with me."

"Just get your ass in there, now," she sneered. I brushed past her shoulder which earned a sharp slap on the shoulder from her as I walked in, leaning against the edge of the table with my arms crossed.

"Make it quick," I joked. "Wouldn't want your boyfriend to find out."

She bit her bottom lip, holding in an insult most likely. "I cared about you, Vince. I really did."

"But," she continued. "I don't think you ever cared about me. About anyone, really."

I frowned. "I do."

"Ya, yourself," she scoffed. "And now, I can truly see how self-centered you can be. And I can't let you pull the same shit again. Not on Simon. He doesn't deserve that bullshit."

"The lying, the cheating," she rambled on. "The pathetic excuses for your behavior. He deserves better than what you gave me."

"Sarah-"