Chapter 51

A/N: I was super excited about this chapter. This is one of the long ones, about 3800 words, say what? lol. It was actually going to be longer, but I deleted a portion to save for a deleted scene later. It's not crucial to the plot, but I'll mark where in this chapter it goes with * for when I write it and include it after the story is over.  SPOILER: After this chapter, I'll just say welcome to angst town, because honestly, this is where everything goes south, hehe. Anyways, let me know what you think. I enjoy comments, questions, votes, follows, etc. If you've missed the previous update, make sure you read Chapter 50.

Chapter 51

Song: Intro & Wonder by Shawn Mendes  - I'd recommend for the last part, but could be applied to the whole chapter :) (Honestly either version slaps, and I love them all for this chapter)

Vince's POV

"I still think we shouldn't be alone here. Why not call Xavier, Aspen, or I don't know, literally anyone else."

"You haven't even been able to step into the yard, Vince," he joked, the gate swinging in the wind between us, both of us on either side of the property. "Come on."

"Are you sure?"

He frowned, before taking three long strides before pulling my hand in his again, pulling me forward. "Let's go."

Like last time, just standing out here felt incredibly wrong. It didn't matter how long time could've passed from that day. Sixteen, thirty, even fifty years could pass and I would've felt the same offputting vibes by standing in their pristine, yet ghastly yard.

He dragged me up the steps, promptly into the kitchen and foyer area. It had looked just as I had remembered from the other day, still, a skeleton of a house lost to time.

"It's just a kitchen," he startled me, leaning against the half wall. "A standard sized one. Same as the rest of these houses nearby. Nothing fancy."

I looked down, wanting to tell him that it was more than just a kitchen. This had been where I saw him at one of his happiest. Where his entire family had been here celebrating, where they should have been still, here with us together. There was no cake, no food, no party hats, not even streamers or balloons like before. No warm light or the joyous smells of pizza and candles. No sounds of a loving family. All that was left was the layer of dust on the furniture and a giant void I had caused.

In my peripherals, he stepped forward, gripping my wrist gently, his other hand tilting my chin so I could look at him. Surprisingly, there was no contempt, no crying, not even a frown. He was smiling, something I had never expected. It was a genuine one, almost like the one I saw during that party.

He let out a breathless laugh, "there's still so much to show you. The kitchen is boring, honestly."

He pulled me along into the living and dining room area. The things I had seen earlier still scattered around. Some misplaced toys, the curtains half-ajar. He gestured dramatically toward the rooms. "Living, dining room, nothing too exciting. Oh, except maybe my dad's book collection. He loved collecting the classics, he had almost every single one. He definitely spent way too much time and money on them, but he wouldn't admit it."

I watched him dance around the room, as he expertly navigated through the couch and looked at the bookshelf with caution. I still felt weird about being here, intruding in on his family home yet again.

I walked over to him, wondering what he had been searching for. He scanned his finger over the faded and dust-covered books before he found it. Next to the book, there was a family photo, extremely faded, but I could make out his father's face. Beneath it, it had his mother and the kids sitting in a family photo. In her arms was a bundled baby, Stephen. It left a cold feeling in my stomach. He pulled it out before blowing the dust away, or whatever dust could come off. In elegant letters, it read, Frankenstein.